Ibanez Rx 170 C Rewire

sexybeast

:D Ibanez RX170. I took this guitar completely apart, cleaned and rehabbed it and got the wiring diagram from Ibanez, but the diagram doesn't match the wiring.

The diagram shows a red, white and another wire (I assume it's the one encasing the other two) coming from the humbuckers. I have red and the "other one. It also shows the same for the single coil, but I have black and white.

The guitar has 2 humbuckers, 1 bridge, one neck, and a single coil in between. There's a 5 way switch, volume and tone.

I'm not good at electronics but I can follow a diagram and can understand what I need to if I'm told. This guitar did work prior to my knuckleheadery. Surprisingly sounded and felt good for plywood body and overall inexpensive construction. I'd love to save it.

Can anyone give me some advice? I bought it used, so maybe these are after market modifications.

Thanks much.

Edited by sexybeast

OK, just a couple more stupid questions, and I'll have a grasp of what you're working with (I'm not always the shrpest crayon in the box , ya know! :D ). Is the switch on your axe the same as the one pictured in the digram you linked to? And do you have just a master volume and a master tone as shown in that diagram? With that info, we should be able to get it fixed in no time!

Sorry, should have asked those questions the first go-around, but I forget things like that! :D

Yep,

Everything else is the same as in the diagram.

I'm sure it's a simple thing to do, but until I get the time to understand guitar electronics more clealry, I just want to get this done. And as far as being the sharpest crayon in the box, I'm actually as sharp as a marble. :D

Thanks again.

OK, let's see if we can do this without visual aids. First, connect both bare wires and the single coil's black wire to ground (back of the volume pot). Then locate the wire from the switch to the volume pot's hot lug, and moving towards the outer edge of the switch, connect the bridge lead to the next lug, the middle to the next, and the neck to the outside lug. That should do it - disconnect anything hooked up to the other side of the switch, and you should be good to go.