Well,another Problem (2 Piece Body Clamping)

I picked up some spruce yesterday and proceeded to glue up the body today. When clamping, I noticed that one piece was slightly thicker than other other, leaving around 1/40" (if that) overhang on one half of the whole thing.

Should I worry, or should it be an easy fix?

I plan on chambering the piece, then adding a spruce top on it, for a full spruce semi hollow guitar.

I tried an matched the top, and I realized that these two pieces aren't flush in thickness either...very small difference but still. I wanted to not worry about sanding again after gluing up, I guess I'll have to do that...

Any suggestions welcomed. And if someone has had this issue, please share your insight!

:D

MLedbetter got it right... but if you cant or dont want to have it planed, then just make sure the surfaces that will be together are flush when gluing the "quarters" (two top pieces and two bottom pieces)together. So the back and front of the body would need sanding to make them flat, as opposed to sanding the glueing surfaces. There is a danger of sanding the glue surfaces improperly, leading them to be not glue properly due to curves be sanded into them.

You should have got the two pieces planed at the same time, so that whatever you run through one of them you do the same to the other. That's the ultimate way to make sure you'll have the exact same width for both pieces. The reason you want to do this before you glue the two together is simply because it's harder to find someone with a big enough planer to run that wide a piece at one time. If you find someone with a 14" planer or bigger then your in luck, if not then you'll either have to take it back apart and using a smaller planer. But you do need to have the two pieces the same width and it's much easier to plan ahead instead and make it easier on yourself by doing things in a correct order. That's what building is all about though, making a plan, then finding out what works and what doesn't and learning from everything. Good Luck

MaTT Vinson

well,thanks a lot guys. And thanks Mled for the answer on the other topic too... :D

I will just use a large sanding block and remove the slight overhang. I'll make sure the glue up portions are as flat as possible.

One thing someone in here mentioned.. You could get like 4 sheets of sandpaper and spray mount them (grit side up :D ) to a known flat board.. like MDF or something.. Then turn your guitar upside down and sand away.. Will ensure that it's true which is crucial to do your lam top.

One thing to do might be to wait till you've chambered it. Much less material to remove that way. Good luck