Staining A Design

ok... this idea just kinda popped into my head.

lets say i was going to do a darker translucent paint, like purple or black. one thing i kinda want to do with my guitar is maybe stain a word or maybe a simple design into it, and then do the paint over it. if i stained it dark enough under the paint, would it be.. see-able through the paint..? on my project.. i was thinking of doing a chinese letter for something or another in black stain and then doing a translucent purple over it. is there anything special that might have to be done, or would it just .. NOT turn out?

thanks.

-doug

the only problem that i see is keeping the edges of your stained character from running into the wood and blurring. you might think about painting the figure that you want with a slightly thinned down paint that would flow well and flatten out but not run and then do your transluscent over it and then top coat it.

the only problem that i see is keeping the edges of your stained character from running into the wood and blurring.  you might think about painting the figure that you want with a slightly thinned down paint that would flow well and flatten out but not run and then do your transluscent over it and then top coat it.

well, i was actually thinking of cutting the design in with a razor so that the stain will stay contained, would that work or no? i know thats one way your supposed to keep a stain from going where you dont want it to..

well, that makes sense but i've never tried it..experiment with some scraps of the same wood you're doing your guitar in and see what works.