Banjo Type Guitar?

Hello again.

im sure it must has been done but im think of building a 6 string banjo...tuned like a guitar...infact its proberly more like a guitar thats build like a banjo.... :D well you get the idea, banjo construction with 6 strings tuned like a guitar. :D does anybody have any infomation or pictures of such a thing?

thanks B)

Yep, its been done and its called a "guitarbanjo". If you can build a banjo then you can build one of these (scroll down about 2/3 of the page). All you would need to do is order the hardware, unless you own or work in a metal shop :D . And get some mahogany to build a neck and pot.

Obviously there's a place for it or you wouldn't want to do it, and others would own them-- but to me part of the appeal of a banjo is the different intervals and the drone note.

A guitarbanjo or whatever it's called would just be a guitar with banjo tone. Not as cool!

Greg

It's a well-worn idea, but that doesn't make it a bad one - the first time I remember hearing about it was when Glen Campbell used one on an old Kingston Trio album, and Greg Deering's been making 'em for years. No reason in the world why you can't do it! :D

Hello again.

im sure it must has been done but im think of building a 6 string banjo...tuned like a guitar...infact its proberly more like a guitar thats build like a banjo.... :D  well you get the idea,  banjo construction with 6 strings tuned like a guitar. :D  does anybody have any infomation or pictures of such a thing?

thanks B)

Dean Backwoods 6 String Banjo

I have one open-back and one with a resonator. You can just play them as a guitar but they sound nothing like a guitar or a banjo. Finger-pickin in an open tuning is a whole nother thing. Glen Campbell is the only person, other then Bella Fleck, who records with one and sounds good. OOPS, forgot Taj! I play mine about once per decade.