Les Paul Dimensions

The plans at the mimf are subject to peer review, so if a lot of folks report problems, the plans are pulled and revised. In 4 years of MIMF membership I haven't seen anyone questioning the LP jnr plans, and I've successfully used them myself, to build this:

14_finalfront.jpg

In what way are the p'up thicknesses off? The physical dimensions of the pickup, or it's position?

Setch, can u give me the mesurments of your LP at the widest point, the skinniest point, and the thickness not including the carved top since i will be builing a flattop version? If you could do this for me i would be very appreciative. I would get the mesurments off of that website but my computers not letting me manipulte it right now.

Also did you have to angle your neck at all since your not using the stop bar tailpeice like in the diagrams. What you built is essentially what im building except im probably only going to install one humbucker. So that brings me to another question what kind of pickup would you guys reccomend for the bridge position if you want an all around sound but only one pickup? At first I was building this guitar for myself but I have a friend who's very interested and he wants only one pickup but he doesn't know what kind.

Edited by duo2

Setch, it was the actual physical size of the p/u's that was off. It caught me, 'cos I had everything laid out, marked, etc. Was going to run the neck joint to far side of the neck p/u route & not use a pickguard. Measured everything several times, then trimmed neck accordingly. Ended up putting the p/u 3/8" past the end of the fretboard & now I have to use a pickguard to cover the discrepancy between neck joint route & p/u routed. Measured my P90s against the drawings & the drawings were 1/8" thicker.

At any rate, I dunno where the disconnect was, other than the p/u drawings being off size-wise. The thing that cheesed me, was that I could have run a 2" longer tenon if I'd known I'd end up using a pickguard anyway.

That said, the V drawings seem great, but are also obviously of a much higher quality, i.e. tons of precise measurements for everything, angles, etc.

BTW, noice Junior. I dig it.

Edited by Crazy Carl

At any rate, I dunno where the disconnect was, other than the p/u drawings being off size-wise. The thing that cheesed me, was that I could have run a 2" longer tenon if I'd known I'd end up using a pickguard anyway.

Never trust any drawing you pull from the net. Always check and double check. Made template....see how pup will fit in template....with correct template start routing.

Neck cavity I would never trust drawing...alway use your own neck........(guitar neck that is!!! :D )

Even the most wicked drawing can be turned into great guitar as long as check and double check everything.

:D

Edited by RGGR

I don't have any idea what "Demensions" are, I don't think you should get any until you learn to spell the word correctly :D LOL

thats uncalled for, this forum seems to be turning into MusicianForums everyone flaming everyone over the smallest of things.