Neck Wood

I'm about to start on a neck and have 2 decent identical pieces of Maple, but they're just a bit too short . Is there a way to glue them and still male a good strong neck? My cash is short so I'd really like to find a way, but I don't want to waste time and money on a neck that'll snap. I can also laminate a piece of Padauk in between the Maple if I split it lengthwise.

Any words of wisdom? Anyone? Bueller?

Edited by sexybeast

It would need to join past the pegheads, a bit closer to the bridge. About 2 or three inches. Maybe, maybe a bit higher, but in the area. It doesn't need an angle, but I could make one.

Would it be strong enough there? I could post pictires it it'd help.

Thanks again.

Edited by sexybeast

A scarf joint should be plenty strong. You don't have to scarf it right at where one piece ends, you could do it in thirds if you want, so that the scarf is actually under the fingerboard.

Not sure what the requirements are to make sure that everything lines up perfectly and forms an even plane, or what tools you have access to in order to ensure a job done well, but in theory it's possible.

If you scarf up near the headstock, planing the neckwood under the fingerboard wouldn't be an issue, so I guess that's an option. :D

Greg

I say yes.

That's exactly the spot that scarf joints for guitars with angled headstocks are often done, including the very project I'm working on.

As long as you can make the fingerboard side perfectly level (for attaching the fingerboard) it will work fine.

Greg

Looking at the joint location, I vote no.

I hafta agree with Gregp on this one. If its made with a scarf and an angled headstock. It should be plenty strong enough.

Ever try to break a piece of would that has been glued? It breakes the wood and not the glue. So by that thought your neck should be stronger than most.

• 2 weeks later...

It won't work. The end of the neck portion of the wood (on a scarf joint) has to go all the way to where the angle starts. You'll get what I'm saying if you've done a scarf joint. If that area is where your longer wood ends, you can do it. If it's where the end of the joint is on the fretboard side it would work. Listen to Godin. Maple is as cheap as just about any hardwood, and you can find it anywhere.