Rotary Rasps

GREGMW

I saw in a woodwork catalogue a "rotary rasp" which you use in a pedestal drill.

Its about 50mm round and kind of looks like the drum sanders .

I was wondering if any one has ever used them for shaping bodies and headstocks.

yes they dull so fast, ok for small parts not guitar bodies...

-derek

I dont know if this is what you are referring to. But when shaping necks i use an automotive pnumatic die grinder with an aluminum cutting bit. The Aluminum bit wont fill up and does not get dull. I use it mainly for roughing and then clean up with the regular rotory rasp bit.

If you go that route be careful. The deep flutes in the alum bit can really knarl your fingers if you're not careful. (got that T-shirt a while ago)

Guitar Guy, you should try using those AL bits for what they were intended for instead of wood! You think they are lethal on wood try em on non-ferrous metal! They are brutal beasts! Should be illegal!

Ever get the bit wrapped in your T-shirt? Dont that a few times too.

Tee-shirt, my butt! It got ahold of my welding leathers with a 2 horse ARO die grinder and made mincemeat out of my right glove, little finger and a $410.00 silicon-bronze valve body. And the right sleeve of my leathers. Ought to be illegal for anyone under 400 pounds to buy one.

Tee-shirt, my butt! It got ahold of my welding leathers with a 2 horse ARO die grinder and made mincemeat out of my right glove, little finger and a $410.00 silicon-bronze valve body. And the right sleeve of my leathers. Ought to be illegal for anyone under 400 pounds to buy one.

That musta been electric? Mine stops because the air has no torque. Or maybe yours just has more torque. You may want to look into that. With mine you get cut up a little bit but it doesn't have the power to do much more.

Nope, air. I don't have the patience or smarts to do anything rational like keep myself out of emminent peril. It's a full 2 horsepower with no stops, limits or respect for human flesh. I'd be a blood donor if I could ever get over half-full on the dipstick.

Nope, air. I don't have the patience or smarts to do anything rational like keep myself out of emminent peril. It's a full 2 horsepower with no stops, limits or respect for human flesh. I'd be a blood donor if I could ever get over half-full on the dipstick.

I run the compressor at 90lbs, no more. Doubles as a way to torque lug nuts without a torque wrench. Just use the impact wrench.

Sorry to hear the blood donor thing is not working out for ya :D

Regulators!! We don't need no stinkin' regulators!! 150 PSI or die!! I say!!!

I forgot to put my OP in as far as the orig. thread was concerned! Those drum routers are not too bad for shaping with, say, a cordless drill or a press. Go slow and they don't have a big clogging prob. GREAT for establishing an initial taper on a belly relief or forearm taper. The tool I really like is an old Chinese bunch of hacksawblades bolted together that Kmart used to sell. Wear one of those out and you will be able to hide your own Easter Eggs. :D

Edited by thedoctor

Regulators!! We don't need no stinkin' regulators!! 150 PSI or die!! I say!!!

I forgot to put my OP in as far as the orig. thread was concerned! Those drum routers are not too bad for shaping with, say, a cordless drill or a press. Go slow and they don't have a big clogging prob. GREAT for establishing an initial taper on a belly relief or forearm taper. The tool I really like is an old Chinese bunch of hacksawblades bolted together that Kmart used to sell. Wear one of those out and you will be able to hide your own Easter Eggs. :D

LMI has a straight file made that way (not a rotary one). I never saw it on their website, but it's in the catalog they just sent me.

Edited by jnewman

I just looked at LMI's site and it is listed as a "saw-rasp". That is the exact tool Kmart sold for like $6.00 in the 70s. EXACT! Good tool and reversible for two different TPIs. Mine is about 30 years old and works like it did new.

I just looked at LMI's site and it is listed as a "saw-rasp". That is the exact tool Kmart sold for like $6.00 in the 70s. EXACT! Good tool and reversible for two different TPIs. Mine is about 30 years old and works like it did new.

LMI's price is way high. They aren't six bucks anymore but you can buy them for less than half of LMI's price. There are a couple of versions -- the plain saw-rasp and the "planer" version with a knob so it can be used like a plane. Search for Shinto saw rasp. Japan Woodworker and a number of other places carry them.

They're great, and they do last a long time.

Guitar Guy, you should try using those AL bits for what they were intended for instead of wood! You think they are lethal on wood try em on non-ferrous metal! They are brutal beasts! Should be illegal!

Actually, I was shaping my neck with a belt sander, got it a little too close to my t shirt, and VIOLA! I was shirtless in the blink of an eye! LOL. Luckily it was only a white hanes shirt and not one of my cool concert shirts.

Actually, I was shaping my neck with a belt sander, got it a little too close to my t shirt, and VIOLA! I was shirtless in the blink of an eye! LOL. Luckily it was only a white hanes shirt and not one of my cool concert shirts.

Careful man! There is a BIG difference between a die grinder and a belt sander. You got lucky. Ive caugt my finger in the disk attachment and sanded my fingernail off past the cuticle IT WAS NOT FUN!!!!