Bartolini Pbf-series Guitar Pickups

jnewman

There is very nearly NO information on these ANYWHERE. There are like two reviews on harmony-central and none anywhere else. Myka has used the ZBS's a lot, but I haven't seen the PBF's anywhere - except on my desk! I just recieved a PBF-49 vintage neck and PBF-57 jazz/rock bridge (bit higher output than the vintage group). The ones I got are nickel covers, and all of the PBF/ZBS series pickups are potted in black epoxy. The wire construction is excellent, with perfect soldering and careful attention to detail. These pickups are rock solid. I think you could run over them in a car without hurting anything but the mounting ears, and there's no way there'll be microphonics problems. I ordered them from www.pickupcentral.com, which I would recommend to ANYONE. Phil's a great guy, best service I've ever seen, great prices, and fast shiping.

Anyway, here're a good picture of 'em, since even decent pictures aren't available anywhere (please note, I took two different pictures of the same pickup and combined them into one file. The two pictures are of the same pickup. The pickups are exactly standard humbucker size):

barts.jpg

I'll be finishing up my walnut and maple stratocaster in the next week or two and putting 'em in, and once I get the whole thing going I'll let everyone know how they sound - I have high hopes.

I can't tell if you're being sarcastic.

The wiring pins are one of my favorite aspects of Bartolinis. You can always easily replace the cable, or convert to 2 conductor if you want, etc. On his active pickups, the preamp and boost leads are right there for you. So you can use the preamp on that pickup alone, or feed the others through it depending on your needs. And look at how that method reduces all stress on the cable, unlike a typical PAF style pup, where the cable has to come down and out through the baseplate hole. The baseplate often cuts the insulation on the cable. And typical epoxy pups (save EMG push plugs) have the cable just emerging from the epoxy, often at an awkward angle. I've had to splice my share of pickup wire UNDER the epoxy pool. It's no fun.

Can't wait to hear the review!

I wasn't being the least bit sarcastic - I'm highly impressed with them so far, and like you I really appreciate the wiring pins. Assuming everything is wired right inside the eopxy, they should be fine forever as the connections are so easy to remake.

Plus they look really cool from the front, too :D.

:D Hi!

I've used the combo you recently purchased and have been impressed. If you're looking for heavy metal, go elsewhere. If you're looking for rich, full sound, great harmonics and string definition, these are for you. I tend to use the ZBS series more often as they are more plentiful, but you can't go wrong with Barts.

Dave

There is very nearly NO information on these ANYWHERE. There are like two reviews on harmony-central and none anywhere else. Myka has used the ZBS's a lot, but I haven't seen the PBF's anywhere - except on my desk! I just recieved a PBF-49 vintage neck and PBF-57 jazz/rock bridge (bit higher output than the vintage group). The ones I got are nickel covers, and all of the PBF/ZBS series pickups are potted in black epoxy. The wire construction is excellent, with perfect soldering and careful attention to detail. These pickups are rock solid. I think you could run over them in a car without hurting anything but the mounting ears, and there's no way there'll be microphonics problems. I ordered them from www.pickupcentral.com, which I would recommend to ANYONE. Phil's a great guy, best service I've ever seen, great prices, and fast shiping.

Anyway, here're a good picture of 'em, since even decent pictures aren't available anywhere (please note, I took two different pictures of the same pickup and combined them into one file. The two pictures are of the same pickup. The pickups are exactly standard humbucker size):

barts.jpg

I'll be finishing up my walnut and maple stratocaster in the next week or two and putting 'em in, and once I get the whole thing going I'll let everyone know how they sound - I have high hopes.