Wood For Sale.

fryovanni

Hey all,

Shipping to Canada seems to run about 1.5x as much as US, as memory serves. USPS seems to have the best pricing.

Yes on the laminates, I will shoot you a PM.

Peace & have a great day folks, Rich

Hey i am really loving some of the black limba blanks, what would the shiping be to The UK?

• Replies 117
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hey all,

Shipping to Canada seems to run about 1.5x as much as US, as memory serves. USPS seems to have the best pricing.

Yes on the laminates, I will shoot you a PM.

Peace & have a great day folks, Rich

Hey i am really loving some of the black limba blanks, what would the shiping be to The UK?

Shoot me an e-mail or a PM with your city/zip code. Last time I checked it was kinda spendy, but I can see what USPS can do.

Peace, Rich

Jorge,

Got a Flamed Maple block (killer piece) that will be perfect for you guitar. I am going to be re-sawing some material tomorrow. I will get a pic to you.

Peace, Rich

You seem to have quite a decent selection. I may wind up buying an ebony fingerboard for an unlined fretless 4 from you soon. I'm also eyeing a couple of the curly maple tops :D.

Don't pay much mind to this post, as I'm posting here more for myself than anything, so that I will be able to find the thread later.

First post, by the way. :D

How are you packaging the wood?

Depends on what it is and where its going. Do you have a request or suggestion on how I may be able to improve the way I pack. I am always happy to take good advise.

On the contrary - I'm looking for TIPS. I may sell some wood off I don't think I'll be using, and I'm not sure how to package it.

Devon,

I think with warmer summer months coming on it may pay off to wrap up some of the thinner pieces in plastic. I haven't had a huge problem with my packaging, but it never hurts to do a better job of protecting. I would mainly worry about the package baking on a dock for a few hours in 100 deg. weather ( but I don't think you can protect much against that).

The question about shipping was directed at me to find out what methods I use, because he has some very nice sounding pieces that he is going to offer up for sale. Sounds like he has some good material and I believe he is in Canada ( Better shipping to you fellas up north!). Asking about how to best ship material says to me this guy wants to do a good job, and credit to him for careing enough to be sure we will get our material in good shape.

BTW- I forgot to mention I had placed a few new pieces up. Pau Ferro top sets, neck blanks, Flamed Maple. More stuff coming soon.

Peace, Rich

• 3 weeks later...

Thanks Rich for the beautiful Maple Top. It's going to be perfect for my project. The shipping was extremely fast as well. Along with being well packed. I'm going to put a link to the pic off your wood page, to show everyone. Also I will get some pics up of the piece on my progress page, I can't wait to see how nice it will look with a finish, I wish I had all the tools that I need at my disposal right now, but when starting out it takes a while to gather all the necessary tools. So thanks again Rich and I'll be wanting that cocobolo fretboard soon, I like those things more everytime I take a look at the photos. I'm really excited to get this project together. Have a good one! PM you later! Jason

Maple Top from Rich

• 2 months later...

Hi all!

I want to recommend Rich for buying woods. I'm from Spain and

I have to say that the shippment has arrived perfectly because

it was very well packed.

I've bougth a mahogany neck, very well built, the mahogany wings

and an awesome flamed maple top. The woods are more beautiful

when are in your hands than in a pic. Then, don't hesitate to make

an international order.

Thanks again, for the woods and for your advises!

Keep in touch,

Jorge

• 2 weeks later...

I'm a newbie in this forum and from England.

Does this wood come from the USA ? I ask 'cos i'm very interested myself but I

have ordered from the US before[stew-mac,AES]and shipping can be hideously

expensive,as i have found out to my cost :D plus VAT and import duty.

So do i have to ship it from the states ? to the UK ?

If so it's a shame as we get stung on the price of timber here and if you ask for

tonewoods you might as well add three noughts to the end of the price tag.

Any ideas on how much it costs to ship to the UK anyone ?

Just PM fryovanni to find out. You must realise, this isn't a lumber company. Rich is just a guy cutting and selling lumber from his shop as somewhat of a "hobby." At least it keeps him out the bars, right? :D

I just got my shipment from him today. Well, it arrived at my house. Unfortunately I won't be there for a week or two. The suspense is too much to bare.

peace,

russ

Just PM fryovanni to find out. You must realise, this isn't a lumber company. Rich is just a guy cutting and selling lumber from his shop as somewhat of a "hobby." At least it keeps him out the bars, right? :D

I just got my shipment from him today. Well, it arrived at my house. Unfortunately I won't be there for a week or two. The suspense is too much to bare.

peace,

russ

Well, My daughter keeps me out of the bars. I think a "hobby" is a good way to describe it. I have been able to meet a lot of very cool fellow PG members through doing this. I only wish I had time to do more.

As far as shipping to the UK. Yes it is more. I usually figure it doubles the cost of shipping, and if you rush it it can quadruple. It is still reasonable for some pieces. I think it is really best to get it locally if you can (even if you are in the US). Maybe a wood nut like Mattia would have the inside scoop on some good places to buy in your area. I can always give you an estimate on shipping if you see something you are interested in.

Peace,Rich

As far as shipping to the UK. Yes it is more. I usually figure it doubles the cost of shipping, and if you rush it it can quadruple. It is still reasonable for some pieces. I think it is really best to get it locally if you can (even if you are in the US). Maybe a wood nut like Mattia would have the inside scoop on some good places to buy in your area. I can always give you an estimate on shipping if you see something you are interested in.

Peace,Rich

Frankly, often as not it's STILL cheaper to get stuff from the US. David Dyke, while pricey, will usually be able to find what you want as long as you can explain it to him exactly, craft supplies are a bit 'meh', but mostly, for fancy tops, the US is the place to be. For 'regular' lumber like mahogany, ash, maple, whatever, go to a lumber yard and dig around for nice pieces. There's nothing 'magical' about instrument grade woods. If you ask for fine furniture grade wood (ie, ask a supplier if they have any), you'll end up with much the same kind of stock. The thing to remember, particularly with large board-y type woods, is that transport costs are going to be stupid!high. I mean, on occasion I've ordered solidbody stock (I've got some Black Limba coming from Gilmer, because I couldn't find any locally. White, yeah, tons of it. Black, not s'much. Well, one place might have it, but the price estimate came out higher than for gilmer+shipping+vat and duties, because they would've been prepped guitar 'blanks'. And the stock it was coming from didn't look particularly spectacular).

For fingerboards (in 'regular' woods), any acoustic parts, hit one of the Spanish suppliers (madinter.com or maderasbarber.com. I like Madinter's web shop, works well, pleasure to deal with) for some seriously low prices. Top grade EIR for 3-4 dollars, top-grade ebony for about 13, f'r example. Or one of the Italian ones for tops (like rivolta, riwoods.com, lovely Italian spruce, top grade for 50 bucks, ish.)

Peace,Rich

Frankly, often as not it's STILL cheaper to get stuff from the US. David Dyke, while pricey, will usually be able to find what you want as long as you can explain it to him exactly, craft supplies are a bit 'meh', but mostly, for fancy tops, the US is the place to be. For 'regular' lumber like mahogany, ash, maple, whatever, go to a lumber yard and dig around for nice pieces. There's nothing 'magical' about instrument grade woods. If you ask for fine furniture grade wood (ie, ask a supplier if they have any), you'll end up with much the same kind of stock. The thing to remember, particularly with large board-y type woods, is that transport costs are going to be stupid!high. I mean, on occasion I've ordered solidbody stock (I've got some Black Limba coming from Gilmer, because I couldn't find any locally. White, yeah, tons of it. Black, not s'much. Well, one place might have it, but the price estimate came out higher than for gilmer+shipping+vat and duties, because they would've been prepped guitar 'blanks'. And the stock it was coming from didn't look particularly spectacular).

For fingerboards (in 'regular' woods), any acoustic parts, hit one of the Spanish suppliers (madinter.com or maderasbarber.com. I like Madinter's web shop, works well, pleasure to deal with) for some seriously low prices. Top grade EIR for 3-4 dollars, top-grade ebony for about 13, f'r example. Or one of the Italian ones for tops (like rivolta, riwoods.com, lovely Italian spruce, top grade for 50 bucks, ish.)

There you have it. I can't really give the best advice to you fellas in the UK. Thanks for helping out Mattia. This question is asked of me quite often. It would be cool to have some input from Australia also. The shipping is even worse there.

Peace,Rich

It's a shame really as you have some great stuff i saw,but like others I prefer to

buy any wood personally so i can inspect it before i buy.Your exc pics did the job

for me really though :D

I am thinking of buying some of the neck laminates in the Neck timber section of

craft supplies myself for my thru-neck projects.I live not too far from it so I could

visit and buy by eye,if you get my drift.

Please excuse my ignorance but what did you mean by saying craft supplies are a

bit "meh".Do you mean they "big themselves up a bit" Like were the best,forget

the rest sort of thing ?

I went to david dykes site too and downloaded the pdf's and they both seem to

have some exc timber.I really like to inspect the goods with something like timber

for a guitar for instance and that's why i may plump for Craft Supplies.They both

seem quite reasonable price-wise and i tried the local Timber yards[W.Midlands] but just got funny looks when i asked for Alder or maple.

Suffice to say fryovanni if I lived in the US i'd be all over you like a cheap suit for

some of those great timbers.,and thanks for the url's too mattia.I'll have a look

and see what i can find, cheers :DB):D

Please excuse my ignorance but what did you mean by saying craft supplies are a

bit "meh".Do you mean they "big themselves up a bit" Like were the best,forget

the rest sort of thing ?

I went to david dykes site too and downloaded the pdf's and they both seem to

have some exc timber.I really like to inspect the goods with something like timber

for a guitar for instance and that's why i may plump for Craft Supplies.They both

seem quite reasonable price-wise and i tried the local Timber yards[W.Midlands] but just got funny looks when i asked for Alder or maple.

Simple, really: Craft Supplies don't have a very good reputation for mail order guitar making wood. I've been OK with the couple of things I've ordered, but I've heard lots of people haven't been too thrilled. They've also got a ton of stuff in the catalog, but really don't have all of it in stock. If you can swing by, and select your own stock, then by all means go that route! They have good stuff, just it's apparently not all as good as it could be.

Dave Dyke, on the other hand, very much knows his stuff. He's got more than he's got listed, will custom cut pieces for you if he's got it, and is an all-round great guy to talk wood with. He knows what he cuts, what he's got, how to select a good piece, and is helpful about suggestions if you're not quite sure what you'd like. Call, and ask to talk to Dave himself if you want to talk wood. The rest of the guys are friendly, helpful, but if you've got wood questions, they'll point you to Dave. He's one of the few people I feel I can call up, ask for what I need and would like, and expect to receive quality merchandise in the mail, sight-unseen. He's not the cheapest, but as they say, you gets what you pay for.

Edited by mattia

This is simply going to be an echo of Mattia's comment, but the problem with Craft Supplies is quality control. If you order by mail/phone/net they simply grab the first bit off the shelf, and stick it in the post, with the net result that some pretty 'meh' quality material gets sent out.

I've had one horribly cupped maple top, and a head veneer which was inconsistenly thicknessed, and too thin, even before planing off the machining marks. This is offset against very attractive pricing. I still use them, because I like the price, but when I want something to meet special criteria, I'll go elsewhere.

However, apparently they are great if you can get down there yourself, and there is a ton of good stuff to pick out. You get the right piece (because *you* chose it) and the right price - do it now!

:D Just wanted to let anyone who has doubts about Rich and his products, don't be hesitant to work with Rich, he is a great guy and very, very helpful. Just received my 2 piece African Magogany body blank from Rich and it is AWESOME!!!! Rich, thanks, and hopefully I'll get that Rosewood neck blank from ya'!