Wood For Sale.

fryovanni

Hey Mattia, Setch.. Maybe it would be helpful to start a thread in the supply or chat section. So other people from your neck of the woods could see all this info. Not to say everyone doesn't stop by this thread. I can't think of how many times people have asked where to go and who to buy from outside the states.

Kevan, Doubts? :D ? :D Thank you for the nice comments.

Peace,Rich

• Replies 117
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

+1 on Mattia and Setch with regard to Craft Supplies. I'm on a first build and was enticed by CS's prices but firstly the choice of what they had in stock as oppossed to what they show in thier catalogue was staggering - the choice was basically from only three or four woods for body blanks - and the wood i received was not as i'd hoped. The body blank was 2" so badly cupped that my local woodyard (Timberline in Tonbridge - fantastic for woodturners and acoustic instruments but Bob's not really fired up about the electric side of it) could only just get 1 3/4 over 80% of the surface and of two neck blanks one is so warped that it's touch and go that i can use it even if i scarf down as far as i can go. I think the moral is: if you can choose it in person then all well and good but if ordering by mail order you get what you get !

Jem.

+1 on Mattia and Setch with regard to Craft Supplies. I'm on a first build and was enticed by CS's prices but firstly the choice of what they had in stock as oppossed to what they show in thier catalogue was staggering - the choice was basically from only three or four woods for body blanks - and the wood i received was not as i'd hoped. The body blank was 2" so badly cupped that my local woodyard (Timberline in Tonbridge - fantastic for woodturners and acoustic instruments but Bob's not really fired up about the electric side of it) could only just get 1 3/4 over 80% of the surface and of two neck blanks one is so warped that it's touch and go that i can use it even if i scarf down as far as i can go. I think the moral is: if you can choose it in person then all well and good but if ordering by mail order you get what you get !

Jem.

Wow, 2" blanks cupped that bad and warped neck blanks. I am not familiar with CS, but that sounds like second grade lumber. Second grade is much cheaper, but most retailers don't like to sell it. I think the moral of your story may be a bit off. I agree your #1 option would be to hand select. If you order by mail, you better know the person at the other end is going to select the wood for you and knows what they are doing. As an example- Gilmer (Marc) would never sell a badly cupped body blank. You will pay more for his time to select that wood, but his time is worth it. If you buy 100 BF of Alder even "select" grade it will not be 100% usable for bodys (unless you get darn lucky). So select it yourself or pay to have someone select it for you. If you don't pay for that persons time (and know they know what they are doing), you can roll the dice and see what you get.

Peace,Rich

Ouch, I've never had that much of a problem with Craft supplies - all the neck stock they've sent has been good quality - although the grain orientation is rarely what I'd like, it has always been stable and straight.

I wouldn't want to disuade folks from using CS altogether, but simply to be aware that their service is, um... patchy. I wish I was close enough to pick my own, but for the time being I'm stuck with what they send. :D

The main problem I've had with Craft Supplies is they never seem to have many types of wood in stock compared to what they list in the catalogue. Most of the wood I've had from there has been ok, some of it was very roughly cut but you get what you pay for I guess. Anyway in about a week or so I'll have some wood for sale for those of you in the UK :D:D

Basically i kick myself for being so tight, i'm only 20'ish miles from David Dykes and i've known Jamie for a good few years from local bands, i was purely seduced by the pricing of CS which was a good part cheaper than DD's and Touchstones. Since my first purchases i've found a few more outlets and also learnt a lesson so as much as possible in future i'll pick my wood by hand and in person.

Jem.

PS: Oh, i'll look forward to what Simo has to offer - nice to keep it in the family.

We need to start a topic for all the guys that are selling wood. Just so its all in one place and see if we can cover all the different areas to cut shipping. Maybe four threads one for the UK, one for Canada, one for Australia and one for the US(and of course if anyone else can cover other areas that would be great). Shipping is so high and it would be a great way to cut down on that expense. Maybe even seller to seller(to share recources and pack shipments as efficient as possible). I know of several guys that have mentioned they wanted to sell some wood and have not stepped up yet. I also think a list of dealers by region (with retail outlets would be very cool). Anyone game? Maybe suggestions as to the best place to put these Topics.

Peace,Rich

I guess personally, I have a hard time believing folks in the US can't find lumber. I live in the middle of Iowa and have at least half a dozen places with in an hours drive to buy lumber. I searched on the internet and looked in the phone book. I guarantee that if I ask around, I can find at least another half-dozen.

Having said that, I would love to post my sources to share with others.

I guess personally, I have a hard time believing folks in the US can't find lumber. I live in the middle of Iowa and have at least half a dozen places with in an hours drive to buy lumber. I searched on the internet and looked in the phone book. I guarantee that if I ask around, I can find at least another half-dozen.

Having said that, I would love to post my sources to share with others.

Believe it or not. Look at how many new builders ask where to go. Mattia posted a really nice topic that was pinned. It listed suppliers by region in Europe. The more PG members that share info about their local suppliers the better. Its like shootin fish in a barrel here in Oregon and Washington, but its a little harder to find local dealers in some parts of the US. Everything the PG membership can do to help each other is a plus.

Peace,Rich

:D OMG it would be so good to have a list of suppliers for Australia, I spend hours scouring the internet looking for people that sell hardware and wood here. So far I havent found any which are competitive enough to bother with, and the range is usually pitifull, its still cheaper to get the stuff sent from the states.

Anyone know of suppliers down here in Oz? :D

If there is anyone I would look to for advice down under it would be Perry(he is one sharp fella). I feel for you guys with shipping being so high. I know there are a few guys around here that sell wood. It wouldn't hurt if we had a few more so we could get more local availability (and cut that shipping expense). I would also look for good woods that grow in your area. They may not be as widely used by manufacturers(quite likely due to limited availability), but great tonewoods can be in unexpected places if you know what to look for.

Peace,Rich

... I would also look for good woods that grow in your area...

Yeah theres some cool native woods around here, but Im yet to do some research on if its appropriate to use for instrument making. I know that our Queensland maple is good and Black-wood is a good substitue for Koa. I've also been on the lookout for anything at junkyards or Pawn shops.

Whilst planning my next project of an electric guitar I've been looking for wood which is long enough for the through neck but I cant find any anywhere, even in the states.....any ideas?

It's a bit awkward answering your own post :D , however I found THIS SITE and its got some really good woods up for Auction. I'm thinking I might head on down and have a look...only problem is, that its in large lots with mixed grades and I don't have a lot of money. B)

I might have to steal some.... :D (wood or money)!!!

It's a bit awkward answering your own post :D , however I found THIS SITE and its got some really good woods up for Auction. I'm thinking I might head on down and have a look...only problem is, that its in large lots with mixed grades and I don't have a lot of money. B)

I might have to steal some.... :D  (wood or money)!!!

Sorry i didn't respond quicker. That link looks promising. Keep in mind that if you are able to buy it local you will avoid very high shipping and whatever other costs are going to be added for importing. I have neck-thru stock, but shipping will be more than the price of the wood. If they don't have anything at the wood auction. maybe Perry could offer you something (I am pretty sure he must have a good size stock pile of material).

Peace,Rich

• 2 weeks later...

I am closing up shop. I am finding I just can't keep up anymore. I have had a great time, working wih a lot of you guys. When I get things in order I will offer wood again, in a different format (from a web page I have been putting together). I will be not be able to offer as many "custom" orders, but I will try to help out if I can.

Peace, Rich

I will take the blame for this. My appologies for burning you out while looking for "white" rosewood. I hope everything is ok with you and your family.

peace,

russ

:D

Russ, Guys like you made it fun for me. Everything is great with the family, and I am not burned out. I am just don't have enough time. Maybe I will get some work done on my own projects after I get all this wood out of my work space B) .

Keep in touch, Rich :D

I am not dropping off the face of the earth. I will be around, and surely get back at this next year. I just need some time. You know maybe I can even enter GOTM, and get my rear end kicked by Perry :D ( A badge of honor I would wear with great pride).

Marty- We have to meet up. Shoot we are almost neighbors.

Peace,Rich