Wood For Sale.

fryovanni

• Replies 117
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 2 weeks later...
NNNNNNOOOOO!!!!! he was my favourite wood dealer! I loved him!!! So much easier than those other stores!!!

Chris

:D I'm an electrician dude! I will work up something next year, as soon as my schedule permits. Good to know I was able to help you out. :D

Peace,Rich

like I told you before, you are an awesome guy to work with and when you get set up again, you will hear from me!

dont you folks have sawmills where you live :D

i ordered some genuine mahogany+quilt maple from a saw mill/wood dealer for $40 total and i also got a ebony fretboard blank for $18...Canadian dollars

Hmmm... A lot of people don't have easy access to suppliers. It is always best to buy wood that you can hand select if possible(if they can).

As far as $40 CAN for "Some" Genuine Mahogany and Quilted Maple, and $18 CAN for an ebony fretboard. What is your point? Are you telling us that is what normal prices are for the wood you bought or letting us know you got a good deal? If the Mahogany is of sufficiant size for a body(6-10%moisture, and clear of defect), and the Quilted Maple is a 1" thick bookmatched musical grade top set, and the Ebony fretboard is jet black quarter sawn Gaboon. Well $58 CAN is a hella good deal. That would not be even close to normal furnature grade(SAB) retail prices.

So if you are trying to make guys feel bad who don't have good access, or make them think they pay too much if they don't get an unheard of good deal. Not cool at all. B)

If you are just pointing out you got a great deal, good for you! :D

Peace,Rich

i wasnt trying to insult anyone...and this saw mill specifically tells you its for guitar...alls i know is if i see a piece of wood on the net that is located in the US, i am NOT going to buy it mainly because i will pay more for shipping and duties...

and i dont need to skimp out on quality of wood, i have plenty of money that doesnt have to pay for gas, bills, car patyments or any of that junk.

sorry if you guys got the wrong inpression, but why retaliate with something as childish as making me feel bad with out letting me explain (thegarehanman)

at least thats the impression i got from what you said

Edited by Hughes

Listen man, I'm just giving you a hard time. It's all in jest. Than again, you gave me about as much of a chance to explain myself as I granted you; it makes you think, doesn't it. It's good that you have a local source; not all of us are so fortunate. I'm more than happy to pay what I do to get the great lumber I use.

peace,

russ

i wasnt trying to insult anyone...and this saw mill specifically tells you its for guitar...alls i know is if i see a piece of wood on the net that is located in the US, i am NOT going to buy it mainly because i will pay more for shipping and duties...

and i dont need to skimp out on quality of wood, i have plenty of money that doesnt have to pay for gas, bills, car patyments or any of that junk.

sorry if you guys got the wrong inpression, but why retaliate with something as childish as making me feel bad with out letting me explain

I don't think I was off base. I asked you what your point was, that is all. Now maybe it would have been helpful if you had been clearer. I agree with you that everyone should look for local suppliers(I have said this over and over). The absolute best way for a person to buy wood is in person. Not only can you save money by not paying shipping, but much more importantly you have the ability to get a piece that is right for your needs. Knowing how to select proper wood for a guitar is an important skill.

It would also help if you give us more info about the wood supplier. Where are they, and what they offer. That way another member that may be close enough to buy from them could do so. As far as the prices for the wood. If you are going to mention what you bought and how much it cost. Be a little more specific. How much Genuine Mahogany (dimensions or bd. ft., 4/4 6/4 8/4), quartersawn or flatsawn, is the wood air dried or kiln (and what moisture content does the company state the wood will be). Details on the Quilted Maple would help also, similar as above and of coarse add some detail on the figure. How about the Ebony. Is it quartersawn or flat? Is it jet black or does it have color, what variety of Ebony is it? Are the pieces surfaced and sanded? or are they ruff sawn or skip planed? Believe me all of these things effect the value of wood, and this will help us understand if they offer good prices or average(maybe even higher than normal depending).

Don't take my questions as any kind of attack. You have said you want to help out others, and I am all about that. So lets get the details put together and help people find some good stuff.

P.S. I get to ask all kinds of questions it's my topic. :D

Peace,Rich

BTW: Russ, If I had your money I would buy wood that is as nice as what you use. Unfortunately all I got is my looks. :D

My money? What are you talking about? I have no money! Rich, I'm a college student who works on some weekends. Last time you mentioned your stock...I think you said you had about 3k of lumber sitting around? I don't imagine you liquidated all of that. My savings account will probably be kind of baren for a few months with my building a spray booth and what not. I'm thinking of offereing a two part urethane clearing service to PG members when I get it done...just as a courtesy. We shall see.

... :D I can't get over that...someone thinking I have cash to burn. Oh man, you made my day.

Edited by thegarehanman

ok sorry about not giving all details...i do however know that they kiln dry. they only told me that they have genuine mahogany that is "perfect" for guitars, and they said the maple is very figured and is 1 inch thick. i ordered 2 bdf of each...to my calculations, thats more then enough for a mockingbird.

the mill is located near Nanaimo on the Island

im also a beginner at guitar building so if its not top of the line mahogany, or some perfect quilt, i wont be heart broken...i trust them though, my shop teacher gets all the schools wood from them so i think they are trust worthy...or maybe im just stupid :D

once again, sorry, truce? :D

Edited by Hughes

haha who knows (i edited my last post) but ill say it again "im also a beginner at guitar building so if its not top of the line mahogany, or some perfect quilt, i wont be heart broken...i trust them though, my shop teacher gets all the schools wood from them so i think they are trust worthy...or maybe im just stupid "

Hughes,

Ok, you haven't recieved the wood yet. You picked up 2 bd. ft of each. They are charging an average of $10 per. bd.ft for Maple and Mahogany lumber, that is pretty normal. Normally a mahogany body blank would be about 3.5-4bd. ft. and a quilted block say 8x24x8/4 would be close to 2.5 bd. ft.. prices for Quilted blocks range from $25 (low figure) to $350(high priced, outstanding figure, rare).

You really don't have to ask for a truce, no battle here. You most definately don't have to qualify anything because of your experience. I hope the wood is perfect for your project. If the wood you get works great pass on the good source to fellas that are in your area. We all have to help each other find good material and parts.

Russ- Hey your the guy that sunk like $1700 into your last project. We know who has the big bucks :D . I only wish I could afford to go to college.... oh wait, never mind I hated school.

Peace,Rich

...notice there's no mention of his awe inspiring stockpile of wood. Makes you wonder...

I think you're going to make a quilt grand piano.

I couldn't afford to heat my house. I had to burn it all to keep my family warm.

Funny you mention a quilt grand piano.I would have never thought of that. I can't even afford to dream up a project so expensive.

Don't worry Russ. You don't have to feel sympathy for a poor fella :D like me. I am more than content to just look at your grandiose projects. :D