Need To Do A Carve Top On Some Hard Wood

I have some lame plans available here: Pantagraph specs. Crude I know, but it works. I copied this heavily: Gemeni Wood Carver.

Just get the larger shafts and bearings, don't use anything smaller than 1". 1-1/4" is even better. The bearings are the most expensive parts to buy but you can find them cheap on eBay. Search linear bearing, linear shaft, etc.

Here is a great set if you have the money and want to overbuild: 2" diameter shaft and bearings.

Here is a great place for new shaft: Dock Hardware. They sell boat dock stuff but I got 2 1" shafts brand new for $50 2 years ago. Great guys to deal with.

Oh, and one more thing, I used a full size porter cable router. The laminate trimmer would work but the bigger router can work faster in maples, etc.

Edit: Here is a great set for cheap.. Just cut the bearings in half and you will have 2 separate sliders. The longer bearing will work just as good as two shorter ones at this diameter.

~David

Edited by Myka Guitars

David...looks like you're using 3/4" plywood as your base.  What are the dimensions?  Did you brace it at all to keep it from flexing?

Yes, the base is a 4' x 4' piece of 3/4" plywood with a 2x4's grid underneath. It is pretty sturdy. I screw the base onto the top of one of my workbench/shelving units. The entire table is also leveled with shims to get it perfect. With all the crap I have stored beneath it the table is very solid. Or you could weld a steel frame and bolt it to the floor :D

Edited by Myka Guitars