Yngwie Malmsteen Strat Project Built Online

randyciakdotcom

Hello - I wanted to share with this forum a guitar we are currently building that will be offered for sale on Ebay when the project is completed. We are building a Yngwie Malmsteen Play Loud Replica strat online at our site: www.randyciak.com/guitar. We are showcasing the entire project online with detailed photos of the complete transformation process of a Fender MIM Deluxe strat into a Yngwie Play Loud/the Duck Clone (In rosewood instead of maple fretboard). The cool thing is that people tuning in to the website each week can see a strat neck get scalloped, brass nut installed, The body getting painted in nitro, then reliced, and the full wiring & electronics assy process (Dimarzio pickups). Then we will wrap her up and will shoot a video of us playing Yngwie tunes so our guests can hear the tone of this amazing axe! We will also have out Guitar Girl of the month do a photo shoot with this sweet shred weapon. The grande finale will be listing this cool strat on ebay to sell to the highest bidder - Here is a link to the strat in progress:

http://www.randyciak.com/guitar/dean/index_theduck.htm

For those interested in more details, we are building this and relicing this guitar to show our visitors the process of building a replica guitar and or clone - the purpose is not to make a fake guitar and pass it off as the original , but to educate our site visitors in the process of building, setting up, and playing cool tribute guitars. If you look at the "Donor" guitar - The body was damaged previous on the

upper middle portion where the upper horn begins to extend - yes it was neglected by the previous user and even thrown in the back room of a local Guitar Center music store, so a "new guitar" was not harmed during this project!. We purchased this strat with a vision to give it new life and build a creation that would salute our hero - Yngwie - the Master Shredder. Ive followed Yngwie since 1984 and he has truely inspired my playing style and technique.If you navigate back to our site - http://www.randyciak.com/guitar - you can download a few .mp3's of me playing and hear Yngwie's influence on my technique. This guitar is really a salute to the Shred lord himself,

and will be enjoyed for many years by either a collector, fellow

player , or fan. Thanks for listening.

Edited by randyciakdotcom

I'm sorry but the more I read your post the wierder it feels to me. You took an old mexican strat, did a mediocre at best, scallop on it, scratched it up and then send anyone who wants to see it to your website where you advertise "modifications" and "custom guitars"?

Then you spam this site with the announcement that this guitar will go up on Ebay to the highest bidder. But you really only wanted to educate us as to the process?

You've gotta be kidding me. Plus, this is your first post and your screen name is your website address?

Dude, you've come to the wrong place. If you have any real interest in learning how to work on or build guitars then pipe down and read as much as you can. You've got alot of nerve charging people for that type of work.

To me, this is no different that Dino who came here trying to get folks to buy books that'll teach you how to spray paint.

Take off man.

yo u cant just blast someone in open forum, u shoulda Pm'ed him. now its a $hitstorm, other ppl will want to flame too. haha. yeah i thought it was kinda weird that he mentioned the whole ebay thing. why would u make this and be ready to sell it before its done. why wouldnt you keep it? i dunno, maybe i just feel heat and want to pour gas on the fire... if hes inspired you that much, you wouldnt sell this guitar. :D

Edited by Moreau

Why didn't I PM him?  Why would I owe him that courtesy?  I think he came here pimping this crap guitar and I wanted every one here to know how I felt.

I owe alot to this forum.  That's why I support it.  Just trying to keep the neighborhood clean.

Peace.

I have to agree, i dont come to this site to see other people try to advertise there website and the "crap" they try... TRY.. to sell... if he wants, he needs to post this in the auction part of this forum...

btw, who would buy that guitar? i mean, if someone didnt know who Yngie.. or w/e his name was (me) then they would just think it was a guitar strait from the dumpster...

Careful guys, I don't want to see people "unleash the fookin' fury!" :D

But I gotta admit I don't like seeing people try and use a forum that's supposed to be for reference and to show off your results and use it as a marketing tool. No offense, but I'd keep it as I doubt you would profit for your labor. :D

Edited by Kyle Cavanaugh

Although one cannot knock him for wanting to promote himself and/or his work, he forgot that this is not the place to do such things overtly. I believe the strict purpose of this forum is education, and when you make a post that starts off mentioning that your work is going to be sold on eBay, you have cossed a line that makes this forum what it is.

I would say that this forum, although totally public, is posted on by only a relatively few number of people. The majority just passively read and learn from the great knowledge hidden herein. If posts like this begin to pop up, you create a breeding ground for every person wanting to tote their rebuilds/refinish/warmoth constructions as amazing pieces of musical art fit for resale above and beyond their fair market value (although he said it is going on eBay to the highest bidder, which technically, is fair market value).

I think the bottom line is that the post came off as tring to sell something, and regardless of the quality of work, this is not that place for that. If he had made a post saying "hey guys, i scalloped this guitar, and want to share with you documentation of my progress," that would have been fine and dandy. Add to that the obvious sell tactics, and you have created a post that just doesnt belong. If he is trying to sell this guitar, the best course of action would have been to simply post pics documenting his work. I think that when the experienced builders on this forum simply post pics of their amazing work, it sells itself. No need for crazy, AMAZING, awesome buzz words or sleezy sells.

I think there is no need to flame this guy, as long as he knows that the overt promotion of a guitar for sale is not to be posted in this section of the forum.

Finally, I have no intention of coming off as an ass, I can just understand why those people who value this forum highly would be adverse to these types of posts in the Project Guitar Forum.

I think there is no need to flame this guy, as long as he knows that the overt promotion of a guitar for sale is not to be posted in this section of the forum.

Exactly, he probably just didn't think about what he was doing, and for us to insult him would make us scum, it's really quite disrespectful.

I got a question, BTW. How many hours would you say it took to scallop the fretboard? I'd think after doing so many neck, you'd be a tad more neat. If you haven't checked out the scalloping tutorials on projectguitar.com, I'd check it out, they have really useful tips!

Exactly, he probably just didn't think about what he was doing, and for us to insult him would make us scum, it's really quite disrespectful.

I haven't posted here since I thought that Cudbucket took care of it.

For you noobs, this has happened here a lot of times, a guy does his guitar (edited by BP - :D ) and comes here to post that he is selling it in the bay or whatever! This is spam, no matter how you see it, and it is comonly known in forum boards that spam is not allowed.

A mistake posting it? May be! But how many of you have posted an item for sale and don't check on it atleast at the end of the day. Not unless you are expecting the replys to come up in the auction, and you ain't interested on negative comments of the guitar.

And this guy is adverizing like if he was a pro, what a joke, even my 1st scallop lokks 20 times better than that butcher job he did on that guitar.

Edited by bluespresence

Some sweet a$$ relic'ing going on there. i think theres too much sanding going on, shoulda mounted the belt buckle bare on a palm sander  i like it. my buddy is all about yngwie. keep it up.

Thanks for the tip - this is exactly why I posted this guitar in this forum , to get some good information on how to better my guitar building - Could you get me more infor on this? thanks!

In response to posting this thred in this specific forum - I was hoping to gain some concrete ideas on how to make our project look even more authentic - Isn't this is a "Project Guitar" forum? - I was also hoping to meet some people who were sincerly into the art of building guitars - Instead, Ive found my responses have been totally weak with quality information, and as far as core details or improvement ideas - little to none. I would appreciate that any future postings be aimed at the "Malmsteen Replica Play Loud" guitar building/relicing process of the guitar. Thanks & PLay LOud :D

Who did the scalloping?  It's a little uneven.

We actully perform all our own work using hand tools. We have taken a real Fender Yngwie Malmsteen Signature series strat w/ a Rosewood fretboard and used calipers on each of the 21 scallops to find the exact size and depth. Then we used those dimensions as a guideline for the scalloping process. We did notice in doing this that Fenders version varies quite a bit from fret to fret, Im guessing due to there manufacturing and or finish sanding process of the scallops. Thanks Dean

I'd like to know more about the nylon string Strat here.

This guitar was built to replicate the nylon stringed strat FCS built for Yngwie shortley after his Chet Atkins got stolen. Our version is a 2002 Fender 70's reissue strat donor that we scalloped the rosewood neck, removed the fender electronics and installed a Bartolli preamp and some graph-tech saddles with built in piezo pickups! A blank pickguard and stereo output jack, and custom sawed nut ties all 6 piezos and nylon strings to finish off the project. The strat sounds amazing - you can actually hear this guitar in a original tune I wrote: http://www.randyciak.com/guitar/dean/Dean_...Salve_Molla.mp3

The tone is very stratish - If you know the tone of a strat - think nylon string strat and you there!

I think every little string nuance is picked up by the piezos....listen to the piece very loud to hear what im talking about - thanks for your interest - hope this helps!!!

Dean

Who did the scalloping?  It's a little uneven.

We actully perform all our own work using hand tools. We have taken a real Fender Yngwie Malmsteen Signature series strat w/ a Rosewood fretboard and used calipers on each of the 21 scallops to find the exact size and depth. Then we used those dimensions as a guideline for the scalloping process. We did notice in doing this that Fenders version varies quite a bit from fret to fret, Im guessing due to there manufacturing and or finish sanding process of the scallops. Thanks Dean

Last april I went to see Yngwie, at a small club and then hanged around talking to his tech (can't remember the name, Old guy but very friendly if you know what you are talking about) and he showed me 2 of the guitars that Y used on stage that night, the scallop was nice, smooth, and above all 1st quality. I showed him a pic of my first time (an Epi LP) link 1link 2 and he said it was realy good! The reason it was good was because of all the help that I got from Brian (Runs this show) and all the other guys that help me with it. Seriously speaking your depth might be exact to the original, but your work is sloppy to say the least. And I used all hand tools for that one too.

THere has been hundreds of people doing replicas, there is one at Y site that is by far the best I have seen, it was presented to Y and he sign it, the owner won't part from it,

I think to advertize yourself as a luthier is plain wrong, it is your shoice and nobody can't take it away from you, but I have seen kids here that do much better instruments than that one you are presenting, I wouldn't even consider anouncing my self as luthier with the jobs that I have done.

Good luck with your guitar, but unless you tiddy up the details, I don't think you will get more than the price of a pawn shop MIM.

If you're looking to find info on scalloping, great. Come to this site, register and use the SEARCH function. You first post was a blatant annoucement of your "custom replica" that was going on up on ebay. That's totally different. Why would you be looking for "information" on scalloping if the guitar is alreay done?

Plus, you didn't host simple pics to "show" us your "work". You gave us a link to your web site where your "services" include mods and "custom guitars". As far as I'm concerned, it's a lame spam attempt.

Lastly, your subsequent posts are a lame attempt at back-pedaling. I believe all you wanted to do was draw attention to your auction and maybe to drum up "business" for your "services".

That's my piece and I've said it. I won't bring it up again.

As for your scalloping, it needs alot of work. In my opinion, you shouldn't be charging people money for that. You'll find plenty of information to help you improve on this site.

If that's truely your intention, then welcome to the board.

Dave

Plus, you didn't host simple pics to "show" us your "work". You gave us a link to your web site where your "services" include mods and "custom guitars". As far as I'm concerned, it's a lame spam attempt.

Lastly, your subsequent posts are a lame attempt at back-pedaling. I believe all you wanted to do was draw attention to your auction and maybe to drum up "business" for your "services".

+1. I'm with Cud on this one.

If you're looking to find info on scalloping, great.  Come to this site, register and use the SEARCH function.  You first post was a blatant annoucement of your "custom replica" that was going on up on ebay.  That's totally different.  Why would you be looking for "information" on scalloping if the guitar is alreay done?

Plus, you didn't host simple pics to "show" us your "work".  You gave us a link to your web site where your "services" include mods and "custom guitars".  As far as I'm concerned, it's a lame spam attempt.

Lastly, your subsequent posts are a lame attempt at back-pedaling.  I believe all you wanted to do was draw attention to your auction and maybe to drum up "business" for  your "services". 

That's my piece and I've said it.  I won't bring it up again.

As for your scalloping, it needs alot of work.  In my opinion, you shouldn't be charging people money for that.  You'll find plenty of information to help you improve on this site.

If that's truely your intention, then welcome to the board.

Dave

Dave - Thats a great opinion but lets get down to the details - This neck/ guitar is far from being done, so tell me, from your experience, how can or what is the best method of scalloping and finishing a rosewood neck - please give details on the specifics - tools, method, radius and depth of scallop - finishing tactics and any information that can help.

Thanks

Dean