Computer Recording

ultraman

Here's an example of recording an amp with an SM57 directly into the mic input of a Soundblaster Live Value card using Cakewalk and a decent drum soundfont... a little snippet of a tune I'm working on: Test Mix

Ha! That's really good. I like the backing track and the unison line there. That's really catchy. It reminds me of what Vai and Shehan did in Shy Boy.

It needs a banjo solo though. :D

• Replies 83
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I was wondering if AMD fixed their heat problems.. cause gamers running AMD stuff generally have like 20 fans in their case.. I saw a video once of an amd chip and a pentium chip running quake III.. they took the heat sink/fan assemblies off of them.. Intel has built in step down to cover for heat problems.. AMD does not (at least at the time didn't) and quake starting getting chunky as the pentium chip got hotter.. the amd sailed along beautifully...

Until it burst into flame.. it was the funniest thing I had ever seen.

Sepultura.. your system sounds nice.. the only thing i might recommend for recording is steering clear of the 58 and going for even a cheap condenser.. like the behringer B1 or something. 57s rock for high volume amp, snare, etc.. 58s are just lifeless in my opinion for voice.. they lose the sparkle and dont' have much definition. I don't know if you are recording voice or not but if you are.. 58s will get 90% of the sound but it's that last 10% that makes the difference between soemthing sounding professional or "tape recorded" I tried to get 58s to sound good and just was never successful. Great for stage bad for recording.. just my opinion..

I would hope the firepod is worth that much money as well.. I wonder if you would be better off spending 500 bucks on an m-audio delta 1010 or something. I'm looking at the delta 44.. it's just 149 bucks and gives me 4 realtime i/0 audio ports I can just port through my little behringer 12 channel mixer.

I'm wrestling with the AMD thing right now.. I don't really worry about "being ready for 64" because when an OS is ready, the intel chips will be ready.. intel has 64 and has for some time, there is just no reason to push it when there are not apps to run on it yet..

Apparently we've been reading conflicting literature. :D It's possible that the AMD at the gamer's place was heavily overclocked and hence all the cooling apparatus.

As for Intel and 64-bit; that's funny, because last I heard they were lagging WAAAaaayyyy behind. They've actually had to cancel different development programs because they simply weren't working out.

Greg

well yes. but i've never met an AMD'er that wasn't into overclocking.. they are easy to overclock.. It is true though that the chips didn't have the step down safety feature that intel had..

I'm contemplateing getting an amd box just to try it.. I want something optimized for sound. All i do other than audio is photoshop and some occassional 3d modeling..

As far as intel.. the xeons are 64bit and the itanium is in it's second generation.. but those are marketing towards super computing applications.. a desktop 64 just isn't a big market need right now. If they have had lagging or cancelled 64 bit programs i wouldn't be at all surprised if that were in the desktop arena.. Intel tends to produce chips that the latest microsoft software needs to operate. Once MS goes 64 intel will be ready i'm sure. The tail has to wag the dog don't ya know :D

Apparently we've been reading conflicting literature.  :D  It's possible that the AMD at the gamer's place was heavily overclocked and hence all the cooling apparatus.

As for Intel and 64-bit; that's funny, because last I heard they were lagging WAAAaaayyyy behind.  They've actually had to cancel different development programs because they simply weren't working out.

Greg

Good point about Intel. As far as I know, their stumbling block has been backward compatibility. I don't have a big thing about 64-bit, either, though-- when I last upgraded, I had the option and stuck with 32-bit anyhow. The main thing about the Athlon-64, though, is that the architechture is simply more efficient, even in 32-bit mode.

Greg

MDG is having a 14th anniversary sale right now. Check the papers rather than the website because certain things don't apply to certain line ups. This I got from the site since I haven't had time to check the paper yet. Dunno if this deals go for you boys and gals from the united states though.

For 1477 bucks canadian you get...

Intel® Pentium® 4 Processor 530 with HT Technology (3 GHz, 1MB L2 Cache, 800MHz FSB)

Genuine Intel Motherboard with HT Technology

Microsoft® Windows® XP MEDIA CENTRE EDITION 2005

512MB DDR Kingston DOUBLE YOUR MEMORY FOR FREE

120GB Western Digital SATA 7200RPM w/8MB Cache - FREE UPGRADE TO 250GB

128MB ATI Radeon X300 PCI EXPRESS

19" LCD-TFT Flat Panel Monitor

DVD Writer-Burner

5 FREE UPGRADES Until Wednesday 7:30pm

LCD FLAT PANEL MONITOR

DOUBLE YOUR HARD DRIVE

DOUBLE YOUR MEMORY

DVD BURNER

DIGITAL CAMERA

i'd imagine the lcd monitor and dvd burner are not available buying this machine since they come with it already, but it would be nice to see the double your hard drive. 2 x 250 gb SATA drives :D

Pretty damn sweet deal if you ask me. I went to sites from Canada looking up individual parts and it would cost me 1600 bucks and i'd have to put it all together.

don't mean to advertise for MDG all the time, it's just they always have these deals and people from Canada (and if this applies to the states) may be looking on this thread.

-Jamie