Shielding/conductive Paint?

RGGR

In local hardware store I have found these magnetic latex paint(s).

http://www.magneetverf.nl/

http://www.themagneticcompany.nl/

http://www.brandeis.nl/active%20wall/active-wall.html

It's marketed as Magnet paint that will have magnets stick to non-metal objects.

From what I can tell it's just regular latex paint with high iron content. Meaning metal flakes dispersed through paint.

My question now..........from what it looks this stuff doesn't differ so much from the StewMac type shielding paint....would this work too???

FWIW, I have an associate who's successfully used Krylon's magnetic spray paint to shield F/X enclosures - that's not personal experience, but he swears by it for plastic or wooden boxes. Might be worth trying - it's gotta be cheaper than copper or silver conductive paint (and might actually give you a smidgen of magnetic shielding as well).

• 1 year later...

I was jsut reading all these shielding paint threads and this one struck me with something. All the paints mentioned here are said to contain iron which is what is sheilding the cavities in question. However... according to www.guitarnuts.com all conductive paints can be used as long as they are NOT ferrous... ie: no Iron!

Can someone clear this up please??

Chris

according to www.guitarnuts.com all conductive paints can be used as long as they are NOT ferrous... ie: no Iron!

I think what's being said on guitar nuts is misleading. Any paint with high enough metal content will sheild against RF. I think why they're advising against ferrous paints is that they'll start to affect the magentic fields of pickups, probably not noticably though but they still would. I think you should be ok as the amount of iron is still pretty low.

Robert

i think verhoevenc may have a point, magnetic paint would shield against magnetic interference rather than rf interference, it probably would have a shielding afect against rf but what i think guitarnuts is trying to say is that iron should be used to shield magnetic components eg transformers as iron is magnetic wheras copper sheilding would be better for rf shielding.

can't go wrong with this

Edited by George Brown

woah didnt notice that, for that money i'd stick with good old copper tape easier quicker and a heck of a lot cheaper

I think another problem that may arise with ferrous paints, is that if they get wet they may rust and stain the finish. Now most people aren't playing in the rain, but even a few tiem building up condensation would be enough to get steel to rust, so the paint may very well do the same thing.