6 String To 7 String Js

I really want to build a 7 string js, but I've never built a guitar before. I assume I'm only going to be able to find a 6 string js body and I'll have to convert it to work with 7 string pu's, trem and neck. Can anyone point me in the right direction of learning how to convert a 6 to a 7 string... what issues I need to keep in mind when doing it, etc. Also, I looked on warmoth's site for 7 string necks, but I hate their headstock. I really want to give it a full ibanez look, so will I have to just look for a 7 string wizard neck on ebay or are there other places that sell the same designed type necks? Thanks.

Be carefull on the 7 string neck, they're 24 fret and I believe the JS is 22

yep -- an RG7 neck won't fit a JS body. and the Warmoth 7-string necks are a different scale length -- 25" i believe, instead of 25 1/2". they won't fit a JS either.

there was a company Zolla Guitars that used to make 7-string 'conversion' necks -- with a wide 7-string fingerboard and a 6-string neck heel. however, i heard of orders from them in the late 90s taking 6+ months to fill, so i don't know if they are reliable or even still in business.

but even with a conversion neck, you'd still have lots of other problems to figure out. the bridge routing would have to be totally redone, and there may not be enough room to dowel and redrill the stud bushing holes.

Okay....can't let this one pass I guess.

So you want JS-7 right???

I could sell you mine......

Oh, darn......it's not for sale. :D

Okay......first some questions.....

Do you want exact copy (of guitar that not really excists), or do you want something in general direction??? For nice clean conversion you have to find S-7 type neck......as they are 22 fret 25.5" scale if I'm correct. Check evil*bay.....they tend to pop up once in a while.

Then you have to build templates for 7 string trem.....pups, and neck cavity. Routing will be tricky as you have to work on rounded body surface. So not impossible.....still not easy first project.

Option 2 would be to find a RG-7 type neck (24 frets, angled headstock)... plenty of them on the bay, and re-route JS-6 body to accompany RG-7 type neck and trem and all. Placement of pups will be slightly different.......Meaning even more cavity holes in body...other places have to be filled up. Just if you even would pull it off, you end up with piece of sh*t guitar.

Option 3 would be to find a RG-7 type neck (24 frets, angled headstock)... plenty of them on the bay, and build yourself a new JS body. See my JS-7 thread of the S-7 thread currently being on here.....JS and S have similar body shape.

As you can see......the JS body shape is little more complex then your RG type body......but getting close to real deal is not really difficult. JS-7 is my first build too.

Same templates and routing needed....just little more work on body.

Option 3. This option requires access to copy carver.........use/buy JS-100 body fill all cavities....use copy caver to make exact JS body.......later with appropriate neck you could route cavities.....

Oh....and if you go the new-body route.....throw in a AANJ will ya. That's Satch still is living in the 50s doesn't mean you have to.

540RLTDRear2.jpg

Well if this is a new build and the holes and cavities don't exist yet, the Warmoth Super7 is a 25" scale that would fit a standard body with the right pocket width. Not the best neck(UGLY headstock and fat) but the only other option I could suggest is to get a Carvin neck-through and add whatever to the sides. Going for an Iban look? Hmmm. Might wanna try to find one of those conversion necks with a paddle head so you can cut it to your preference. IMHO. I do not think a 7-string is appropriate for a first-build. Too many problems you don't need to be discouraged with. IMHO

I do not think a 7-string is appropriate for a first-build. Too many problems you don't need to be discouraged with. IMHO

What a BS. :D

Why is your 7-string more difficult then your regular 6 stringer.........don't really get it. For 8 stringer or baritone 27" scale this may be true.......but not for your regular 7.

Just get out your check-book and order the parts you need. Pups, trem......and your routing is not any more complicated than your 6 string set-up.

Oooooooooeeeeei....one string more.....oeeeeeei...complicated. :D

Making or adjusting your JS body,.....that's what's complicated in this type of project.

If you're really smart you get one of these older RG7620 of evil*bay and use neck, trem, pups, electronics......nuts and bolts. Gutted body you sell on the bay again.

So pretty much all you need is alder (basswood) body blank and download the Radius cad plans you the net.

Now get your butt moving and start building.

the Warmoth neck at a 25 sscale might work, since the heel on the JS ends under the 22 fret, and the heel on the warmoth ends with the fretboard , once you set the neck over the body for the correct scale, you will still have to rout the neck pocket, and the 7 warmoth will go over the old JS and below it. The trick is knowing if it will clear the neck pup. But other than that I think it will work.

EDIT:

You know what after checking the Ibanez site I think it will be a very close call. Since the neck pup is right against the end of the fret board on a JS100. You will have to do son=me nice measuring to make sure it will work,

Other thing you can do is to buy and RG 7 neck, remove the 23 fret and cut the neck down the fret slot, then using a jig you can reshape the heel to fit in the JS pocket or round the corners like the warmoth and fix the pocket on the JS.

RGGR, I find parts, pickups, bridges, nuts, necks, etc. a lot harder to get for a 7-string than for a 6-string. I must not be looking in the right places. I just thought the parts where harder to find. Strings have always been an issue with me because the shops you walk into never stock a selection of 7-string stuff like they do for 6-strings. My tongue now needs direct-pressure application with a sterile bandage or I shall surely die.

I would think that in some ways a complete build would be easier than a conversion. :D

On the old 6- string body, you'll have to strip down to wood (yuk, what an aggravating process), then:

re-rout pickup cavities

re-rout trem cavity

re-rout neck pocket to fit 7-string neck

All that routing... might as well do it from scratch! :D

Greg

RGGR, I find parts, pickups, bridges, nuts, necks, etc. a lot harder to get for a 7-string than for a 6-string. I must not be looking in the right places.

Finding right parts @ right prices is always a quest. But looking at stuff available at music123, mf, guitarpartsdepot, stewmac, allparts.......they all have reasonable selection of 7 gear. (depending on type of bridge of course......). In my JS-7 build....the only thing I had a harder time getting hold of was/is a Edge Lo Pro 7 trem. They just don't pop-up that regulary on the bay, compaired to your normal Edge/Lo Pro trems. And yeah, I could have ordered new one from dealer, but they (read: Ibanez) charge rediculeous prices for their trems.

I just thought the parts where harder to find. Strings have always been an issue with me because the shops you walk into never stock a selection of 7-string stuff like they do for 6-strings.

Just check out places like juststrings.com........plenty of choice there.........