I Need Some Buckeye Burl

Is lumberlady still in business? Anybody ordered from there lately?

The reason I ask: I called them 2 or 3 months ago to place an order. I got no answer, just a machine saying, "hang up, our message inbox is full" or something like that. So I tried emailing at least twice, and got no answer.

Edit: Make sure to call and talk to someone there before placing an internet order, to be sure they are still in business. I don't mean to slam them or anything, maybe they were just having technical problems or something.

Wow, that's a great link. Hadn't seen that place yet. Alot of great wood there. Thanks for the link. :D

Quick question. I've never used burl before with holes going all the way through. What is the prefered method and material for filling such big holes? Sorry, I don't mean to change the subject....

Epoxy.

That was my first thought, to cut out a piece from the scrap that would fit in the hole, then epoxy it in place. I guess with the burl, the figure is such that it might not be noticable, and would blend in pretty well. Thanks for the info.

I've seen pics of basses made from buckeye burl, and they are incredible!! :D Never seen one in person, though.

I've got 4 going right now, and wood for a few more.

But I would NEVER recommend it for first-timers, it's way too expensive to play around with and it's not easy at all, you have got to have some experience up your sleeves to deal with all it's inherent problems, and there are SEVERAL hurdles to overcome, filling holes is just one of many.

But Newton has the best selection I've seen, that's where I got all mine from.

Buy that stuff at your own risk if ye are a newb builder. :D

Lots of experience counts for a lot!

Hopefully you will have enough experience to see your way thru all the boobytraps.

Post pics! I love the stuff myself. :D

That was my first thought, to cut out a piece from the scrap that would fit in the hole, then epoxy it in place. I guess with the burl, the figure is such that it might not be noticable, and would blend in pretty well. Thanks for the info.

Sounds good on paper I guess, but unless you have a scrollsaw like I do, you ain't gonna ever cut a piece that will fit the hole properly, and you would notice the patch like a sore thumb.

Oh, and the average piece of Buckeye usually has on the order of 20-40 pinholes of varying sizes to fill, and I absolutely hated the epoxy. It's sticky as hell and gets all over everything, you get one drop on your finger and it 'travels' onto everything you touch. I don't use it to pore fill at all, just to fill huge freaking holes sometimes.

I'm doing a project with a spalted maple top right now. THis is my first project with unstable or "exotic" wood. My others have been mahogany and swamp ash. With all of the headaches that come with this spalted stuff, my next one might be made from something more stable. Just getting it flat and keeping it from tearing out is a major chore. But it's kinda like the burl, if you tear out a chunk, you can glue it back in and it's not so noticeable. :D

Good luck with that buckeye, to both of you. I'm already anxious to see the results!