Two Tone?

hes talking bout the Mirage paint..

I use it alot for detail work, comes at 17 bucks a can.. the paint takes long to do too, its a 3 part step... Black, Shifting color, Clear... so if you looking in to doing a whole guitar expect to buy about 3 of those packs.. the sad part is that you cant get the paint in singles, they only come by packs... and its most likely thhat youll only need the shift pain and not all the black and clear...

Heres a link to the product... its some good stuff, but at 17 bucks, i dont use it alot..

http://www.duplicolor.com/products/mirage.html

Good luck :D

hes talking bout the Mirage paint..

I use it alot for detail work, comes at 17 bucks a can.. the paint takes long to do too, its a 3 part step... Black, Shifting color, Clear... so if you looking in to doing a whole guitar expect to buy about 3 of those packs..

OMG you are waisting a lot of paint. I did my LP top, and have about 3/4 of the mirage paint, and I did put 3 coats of it. And you can use any of the duplicolor clears to top it, you don't need to buy the whole kit.

you don't need to buy the whole kit.

Actually , you do.. unless your going to pull the can out of the pack and stick it in your jacket and walk out the store.. it only comes in packs of 3 for 17.50 in the US.. :D

Dude, I meant that you don't need to buy 3 more kits to finish it. One is enough for the black and mirage paint, then buy any dupli clear to d othe clearing, not like you posted to buy 3 mirage kits. Read a little more, since I explain it on the post.

Jeremy, can you shot the ALSA or HOK kameleons with and airbrush? Are these bad too like the clears that I need a booth, or can they be done outside with a respirator?

At $99 a pint I might try this one as soon as I get back from Korea.

They're a typical base coat paint, you can spray them with a carbon filter mask, it's the clears that are brutal. You can spray with an airbrush, but as with any paint with a metallic particle you'll need a large tip and heavy flow. You are way further ahead to spray it with a touch up gun over an airbrush.

I haven't tried the Alsa stuff yet, but I'm almost 100% sure the HOK stuff is well over $100 a pint.

I know they are very expensive. I have been to a few sites and recieve the Eastwood mag, and they are very pricey. I know they might be worth the price, but as of now, I can afford it, and the guitars I'm making are my own, so I ain't getting any profit, just pleasure on making them. If you have a chance, or meet anybody that have used it, please let me know. Like I said I will be away for a year starting July and plan on getting a small compressor set and a touch up gun. Can you clear with nitro over HOK? 'cause I think if you can, then it will be good over the alsa too.

I'll take that into consideration. I know it is expensive, and I understand the need to charge for your work, but I waent to a local shop, and asked them to do that with the 7 string that I did, and they wanted $100 just for the clear, and I had to do the colorsanding and polishing. And it was at the same time as he was doing a car, so he didn't had to mix just for my guitar, it was with the left overs on every coat. Maybe I will just save more money whaile I'm over there and get me a paint booth too.

$100 isn't bad if they lay on a nice coat, when you consider the clear is around $300 a gallon. However, when it's just coats after the car is done, seems a little high, especially when you have to do the final sand and buff.

Oh, under NO circumstances should you color sand this stuff, I don't get why people ever color sand anything to start with but do NOT color sand Kameleon paints. Usually most body shops charge $50 when they're doing it along with a car.

I know about color sanding, I never color sand base coats, especialy metalics, and pearls. (I think kamaleon q. as a pearl) since it will mess up with the lay of the flakes and the shimmer of the pearl. I just sand the clear if it turns out that I lay to thick and it has some orange peel. I make sure that the primer is as smooth as I can get it before doing a color coat, and then that one is usualy sprayed until even coverage is atain, and no orange peel is present.