How Much For A Beat Up Squire

I'm thinking about picking up a BEAT UP Squire Strat from a guy at work, and he wants me to make him an offer. I don't want to insult him or anything, so I'm trying to get an idea what this thing's worth. The body's laminate, full size, decent shape, but a few dings that are going to need to be filled. The neck is a one piece, no nut, frets are going to need to be replaced, somebody decided to draw flames on the fretboard, so it needs to be sanded and re-finished. Basically, I'm going to use the wood and hot-rod the hell out of it, just to see how much I can polish a turd. I was thinking $40 for the body and $20 for the neck. Does that sound fair?

Sems pretty fair if it's not in fantastic condition.

I wouldn't want to offer him more than that for it, but if you're worried it's too little you can just be diplomatic in your approach. He's the one that wants to offload it, so you're doing HIM a favour by even making an offer.

"I can offer you $60, but honestly you can probably get $80-90 for it on eBay if you'd rather try selling it there."

He probably doesn't want to bother with eBay. :D

Greg

Laminate body? Dings? Frets need to be replaced? I wouldn't give more than $20-30 for it...and that's being friendly!

I agree with Greg, explain to him that he might be able to get more if he sells it on Ebay.

Consider that you can buy a NEW guitar of the same/similar quality for around $100. And that guitar will have a real wood body.

Consider also that if it's a cheapo Squier, the hardware and electronics will have to be replaced in order for the guitar to be really usable. So that 'turd' is going to get expensive real fast.

Oh yeah, I'd say a neck is usually worth more than a body, since the quality of the neck is the most important part of a guitar.

Edited by idch

So you're going to have to fill and refinish the body and refret the neck on a guitar that's worth, what, maybe $200 dead mint? Offer him exactly what it's worth to you - if he gets insulted, tell him that no offense was intended, but regrettably, since you're on a tight budget and you're going to have to sink several hundred dollars worth of work into it to make it playable, you simply can't afford to pay more than that for a body and neck, and cordially wish him good luck with it. No harm, no foul! :D

Personally, a plywood parts guitar that needs refretting is worth less than 20 bucks to me, but since you have a project in mind, decide what you're willing to spend on it, and make the offer - he may well choose not to sell at that price, but he's got no right to get angry, especially over a trashed Squire! :D

FWIW, Musician's Friend is selling Squire standard Strats for $200 and Affinities for $150 brand new all day long, both with solid alder bodies.

I don't remember where, but just recently I read that Squier was the name of the guy whose company supplied Fender with strings in the early days. Later, CBS-owned Fender bought the Squier company and retired the name until reintroducing it with the Squier guitar line.

So no, Fender didn't misspell it. And neither did Billy Squier. :D

I don't remember where, but just recently I read that Squier was the name of the guy whose company supplied Fender with strings in the early days. Later, CBS-owned Fender bought the Squier company and retired the name until reintroducing it with the Squier guitar line.

So no, Fender didn't misspell it. And neither did Billy Squier.  :D

Well I never knew that... Guess you learn something new every day B) , I also learnd today that Burger King cups disolve in alcahol.. So i actually learned 2 things today :D .

.... makes me wonder what was goin on in all those lectures i attended today aswell :D .

So, mixing a rum and coke in a burger king cup is bad?

:D Well, they'll usually handle the first one unless you drink very slowly (or like a splash of Coke in your rum B) ) - however, mixing a second rum and Coke in a waxed cup is tempting fate! Besides, you shouldn't be drinking at the Burger King anyhow! :D You'll just screw up somebody's drive-thru order! :D

So, mixing a rum and coke in a burger king cup is bad?

That depends on your definition of bad :D they didnt seem to take Jim Beam very well, but it was an odd mix of burbourn, lotsa Lift, little bit of coke, and a little raspbery, so that might be why.

Just remember: Real men drink from the bottle :D