Guitar Of The Month For June

The Project Guitar.com "Guitar of the Month" contest is a showcase for all the members, so show us your axe in this thread!

This contest is open to any and all members that enter and will be continued each month for a place showing your creation on the homepage!

The winner(s) of course will have his/her guitar featured on the homepage of Project Guitar.com and if you have a website the picture will link directly to it if you so choose (even commercial site's).

If your a forum member you will also be upgraded to a Featured member which allows you to see the Advanced Chat section and download area.

So show us your creation in this thread! You've got till midnight EST the 23rd of May then this thread gets locked and the voting starts!

Any Post that is not an entry will be deleted, feel free to start a new thread to discuss any guitar entered this month

There may be more then one poll to determine winners in different catagorys at the end of this contest!

Please post a maximum of your 4 best pictures per guitar entered

Side note, if you are unable to post a picture you can e-mail one to Brian and it will be posted for you

Ok I'll give this try again :D the IMPALER!!

Impaler1.jpg

Impaler3.jpg

Impaler4.jpg

Ok now these where before it was all done but they show of the woods realy well

and no that's not me in the pics thats cayle the guy iam teaching how to build guitars

the back and it is babinga http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v488/ZAD...dingguitar2.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v488/ZAD...dingguitar1.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v488/ZAD...ingguitar45.jpg

The top and it is Purple Heart

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v488/ZAD...ldingguitar.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

This baby was custom order for a fellow named Ben McKenzie from the east coast of Australia. He supplied the hardware, and a fender licensed body, and it started from there. The only requirements where that it needed to be lightweight, "different", and blue.

I recommended the colour, which just happened to be the same colour Ben had been perving on at the local Ford dealership (Ford GT Blueprint Blue). The Gargoyle inlay came from the idea we both though a intense inlay would add character, but Ben didnt want anything too evil. Gargoyles being "protectors" seemed like a good theme :D I added a bat at the 12th side position marker, cause it seemed like a good idea :D The other side markers are lines of Paua abalone, extending from the face of the fretboard, through the ebony, and into the maple neck by around 3/16".

The Alder body was hollowed out on one half, to make it lighter. The deletion of the headstock and tuners meant the body could be lighter than usual (because it doesnt have to be heavy enough to "sit right" without the headstock and tuner counteracting it). I failed to get a final weight measurement, but i can easily state it was lighter than any guitar (bar accoustics) ive even had. At the time, i had two hollow body guitars come intot he workshop for refrets, and both were heavier B) I believe ben plays three or four four hour sets with his band each week, so it NEEDED to be light :D

The pickups are a Lil'59 in the bridge, and an Alnico II Pro in the neck. Both Seymour Duncans. The three way switch is wired as normal. The volume control is push/pull to split the bridge pickup into single coil mode. The tone control is push/pull for in and out of phase modes. The tone control includes a Bill Lawrence "Q-Filter".

Once it was finished, i gave it to a local magazine reporter, who reviewed the guitar, and recorded the sound sample you can download below.

IMG_2375.jpg

IMG_2376.jpg

IMG_2367.jpg

IMG_2360.jpg

Sound file (1.1mb) Down On The Farm With A Screaming Blue Gargoyle

Clients Comments (which are what makes all the hard work worthwhile):

WOW!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I got the axe today. I am absolutely thrilled!!! It's perfect!!

It sounds awesome plugged or unplugged!! I just can't describe how happy I am with the job you have done!! I have a gig on sunday, I'll try and rig up some pictures to send you.

THANKS AGAIN.

Ps. My dads commin to check it out tonight, i'm gonna hassle him to order a bass of you soon!!

Thanks Perry!!!

Graham Greene (Groove Magazine) reviewed the guitar:

Review here

Down On The Farm With A Screaming Blue Gargoyle

(or: The cat crept into the crypt, crapped, and crept out again)

Over a recent weekend, I had the opportunity to write and record another demo for my friend and guitar tech, luthier Perry Ormsby. This is one weird puppy (the guitar, that is) - A headless Telecaster with a gargoyle inlay at the twelfth fret, bright metallic GT blue paint job, and an f-hole that looks like it was put there by a Klingon warrior in heat. When I was told it was a Tele, I imagined something in a blues or country vein as a suitable audio track to accompany the guitar. After meeting the guitar, however, my imagination had gone somewhere altogether different. The first thing I did was come up with the name;

Down On The Farm With A Screaming Blue Gargoyle. Why that name in particular?

Well, I could tell you, but…

Down On The Farm With A Screaming Blue GargoyleThe body of the guitar (which I wound up dubbing “The Blue Gargoyle”) is made of Alder and is chambered, a la the Telecaster Thinline. The big difference with this chamber is the aforementioned f-hole, the design of which Perry has dubbed the Sword Slash™ F-Hole. The ABM ‘Steinberger style’ hardware allows for the radical (for a Tele) headless design. The body is recessed under the back of the bridge for easy access to the tuning machines, and tuning itself is smooth and accurate with perfect intonation.

In keeping with the Tele tradition, there are two pickups - A Lil 59 Seymour Duncan with coil splitting in the bridge position and a Duncan Alnico II Pro with reverse phase option in the neck position. Also on the guitar is a Bill Lawrence Q-Filter, giving ‘The Gargoyle’ an excellent range of great sounds. The pickups and controls are mounted on a large white pearloid pickguard.

The neck is maple, and has a solid but fast feel. The first thing I noticed (okay, second - more about the inlay later) about the neck was that I was consistently playing in correct position. I had had the problem in the past of feeling completely out of position when playing a headless guitar, and winding up a fret or two away from where I thought I was. The normal scale length and nifty neck design (it feels like there’s a headstock there) mean that the lack of headstock is no problem whatsoever.

There are no fret markers on the Ebony fingerboard, but there is a mother of an inlay at the twelfth fret.

Perry has used Mother of Pearl, Paua Abalone, Green Rippled Abalone, Fresh Water Pearl, Red Heart Abalone and Brown Lip Abalone to create the face of a gargoyle with mouth agape. The matching side position marker is a cute little Mother of Pearl bat - very impressive! The medium frets give accurate fingering, and the overall finish of the neck is impeccable.

For some reason, I always like to pick with my fingers when I’m on a Tele. Although this axe sounds nothing like a Telecaster, I had to have a go anyway when sitting down to write a demo track to feature the gargoyle on. I finally found somewhere to put this choppy rhythm figure that had been bugging me for ages, so I was off to a happy start. The feel of the guitar is very smooth and very rock’n’roll, and I had a ball soloing over the backing tracks. The fingerboard inlay is placed so you know where the twelfth fret is, so getting around the upper frets is no problem. I’m not sure how Perry managed that, but it works, and he’s a clever bloke.

The Blue Gargoyle, as far as guitars go, is a party waiting to happen. In a word - FUN!

Graham Greene

Ummm, what else do i need to say....

The inlay is 15 pieces, and seven different species of shell. The tongue and eyes are resin. The frets are medium size. The hardware is by ABM (brian supplied the parts). I dont know the final value, but all up, all parts and labour, came to under $2000 Aussie dollars. Thats pretty cheap, but it was a long term project, and i had a lot of free reign to do what i wanted with this one. Cant wait to build another headless B)