Need Help Prepping For Repaint

So I have a black squier being repainted. I am doing it Blue Metalcast.The finish has a "fish-eye" in two spots, and there are many scratches on the surface and a couple dings in the wood. I need to know what I have to do to prepare the body for new paint. Do I slightly sand the existing paint and paint primer and new paint over it or do I sand it down to the wood? What grits should I start out with if I'm going to the wood, and then what grit do I use to prepare the wood for primer etc. Thanks for any help.

Stripping a body using Heat

http://www.projectguitar.com/tut/burn.htm

Stripping a body using Chemicals

http://www.projectguitar.com/tut/chem.htm

Stripping a body using Sand Paper

http://www.projectguitar.com/tut/sand.htm

You don't need to completely strip the body, you'll want to fill dings and scratches and sand them flat.

Do a couple searches on these topics you'll likely find some answers as well.

Thanks for the quick help.I understand now. I will probably sand it. Once that is all done and body imperfections are fixed, do I go straight to a regular primer for tha paint or do I use some kind of adhesion promoter? What is the final grit I should sand with before primer/paint? One more thing. When I repaint it, is there going to be a bad outcome if paint gets in all of the hardware/screw holes? Should they be plugged temporarily? Thanks again.

If you're going to use a solid color and you've sanded to a satisfactory prep, you shouldn't need to prime. However if you've gone down to the wood, you probably should prime.

Filling holes can be done but most often isn't really a factor. Paints & Finishes are usually thin enough that they don't really affect the holes, but if you're going for something really thick like a two part poly, then I would consider it. Since you've mentioned METALCAST, the stuff is pretty thin and takes lots of coats of clear. If you're going to do METALCAST as intended, don't forget it's BASE paint (which is a sort of primer but not) to get the anodized look.

This thread really is in the wrong place so I'm going to chime the MOD squad to move it so don't be suprised if it shows up in the 'Inlays and Finishing Chat' section. :D

Edited by Gorecki

I've been sanding with 200 and I have the paint where I want it. I filled a small ding and sanded it. Now what is the final grit it should be sanded to before laying paint? I don't want too deep of scratched that show through paint, or too thin that dont hold the paint good. I am ready to finish the wood. What grit? Thanks.