How Do You Suggest I Remove The Bridge From My...

There's two pins holding it down, plus I'm sure it's glued down as well. The pins go all the way through the body, I can feel them from the inside.

27042005061359_Im_Copy_of_DSC01295_(Medium).JPG

(Click on it for a larger view)

I'd like to keep it intact. Is there any easy way to get it off? I tried running a razor under it and using a hammer/chisel to pry it out but it won't budge. Any ideas?

Are they actual bolts, or wood dowels?

No doubt, you'll need to apply some heat to soften the glue before the bridge will lift off. If the bridge is doweled in, this could be tricky. A hot metal paint scraper gradually wedged under the bridge will work, but if the dowels remain glued....then I'm not sure what you do.

You need to look inside the body at the bottom of the bridge. Those could be bolts/screws that hold the bridge, for some reason that is beyond me. If you can loosen them, put low heat (150-180 degrees F) on the bridge area and SLOWLY work the edges loose until you can get a putty knife or whatever under it. I use those "bags of sand" they sell for neck-pain relief at K-Mart and put them in the microwave until they are WAY too hot. Throw em on the bridge and wait ten minutes.

You need to look inside the body at the bottom of the bridge. Those could be bolts/screws that hold the bridge, for some reason that is beyond me. If you can loosen them, put low heat (150-180 degrees F) on the bridge area and SLOWLY work the edges loose until you can get a putty knife or whatever under it. I use those "bags of sand" they sell for neck-pain relief at K-Mart and put them in the microwave until they are WAY too hot. Throw em on the bridge and wait ten minutes.

Be sure to score around the bridge with a hobby knife. otherwise when you pull the bridge up it may tear out some wood/finish surrounding it. (been there done that)

• 2 weeks later...

Those pins are hiding screws that people have mentioned,you'll have to pop those first.Some screws can be unscrewed,(as the nuts seal to the top from bridge gluing).

Then go with the hobby knife score and the heat.

You may also want to tape the area off first and lay some cardboard around it,so if the knife preses down it will reduce possable scarring on the top.

Occasionally pieces of the top come up,save those to glue back in.When you reglue the bridge score the area under where the bridge is going to go so the glue can sink in deeper.

If the plugs over the screws get trashed during removal,(it happens sometimes-trust me :D ), you can grab plastic endpins,they're usually a perfect fit