OK, remember that pine body guitar I was messing with?

It cracked.

There is a crack at the bottom of the guitar and another one situated between the horn and the neck joint.

In my humble opinion the cracks will not become bigger because the hard top veneer is holding them.

Still, I would like to take some measures just to be sure that the veneer won't crack as well :D. Just for any case.

Here is an illustration I made. The top has a strange shape because of the sanding I applied to give the body an Ibanez Radius look. The bottom crack is not where the two body blanks join together.

bodycracks3rw.jpg

I would like to know how to stabilize the situation, so the cracks won't move on and won't ruin the finish I am about to apply.

In brief: how to stabilize these cracks?

Thanks dudes!

Edited by bluespresence

I'm going to guess that what's happening is that you have a pretty wet piece of pine and a dry piece of hardwood. The pine is drying and shrinking and the cracks are forming because you did a good job of gluing the top on. The hardwood is stable and not shriking, thus cracks. I can't give you any help with this. I think that it's just going to crack and eventually stabilize and stop cracking any more.

In brief: how to stabilize these cracks?

I believe that the body cracked because I was stepping on it while sanding it on the ground. :D.

I believe the best way to stop these cracks from spreading would be to not step on it while sanding.

Do you have actual pics?

I believe the best way to stop these cracks from spreading would be to not step on it while sanding.

Do you have actual pics?

VanKirk, no I don't have any actual photos.

From now on, I will not step on the guitar body while sanding it but It won't help me stabilize the already existent cracks.

I need to know how to make them stable and prevent them from moving while the finishing coat is on because otherwise they would ruin it.

Thanks!

I think you should stabalize the cracks...lol

I've filled cracks with glue before, or glue and sawdust but I don't know if thats the "ideal" way but it has worked for me

i use a lot of wood that i've harvested and that has cracked a bit during the curing process. i've had great luck with this method and it should work for you. if the crack is closed enough that it would be difficult force glue into it take an exacto knife and make a small 30 to 40 degree cut on both sides of it..but close to the crack..1/16 or so. you're trying to remove a small sedge of wood along the length of the crack to see if the crack is deeper under the surface. if the crack is fairly wide skip this step.

get a good two part epoxy..i actually use fiberglass epoxy..and mix according to the instructions. force the epoxy into the crack and let it cure. if it's a fairly large crack you might fill it in two steps. at any rate you want the epoxy to be above the surface of the wood a bit so that you can sand it down flush after it cures.

let it cure at least over night, sand and finish.

good luck and if you have any questions pm me.

Thank you guys, I will do it the glue way, :D as you adviced me.

I was thinking of making somekind of a patch that would hold the two sides of the crack together and prevent them from moving but it seems that glue alone would do the job just fine.

Thank you once again.