Carvin's Tune O Matic Bridge

Has anyone used Carvins tm6c bridge??

Supposedly the overall height is lower allowing for lower neck angles. I tried emailing carvin but got no answer back. Just wondering if anyone has any dimensions for it and any experiences whether or not they liked it

MzI

o yea heres the link Carvin TM6C

Edited by MzI

I have one on my current project. they mill the bottom of the bridge flatter to lower the minimum saddle height off the body.

depends what you're looking for, but if you need a low profile tom bridge for a guitar without neck angle, there you go.

Edited by robmarch

Keep in mind that even though they mill the carved countour out of the bridge, it will not fit on a guitar without angle unless you rout the neck pocket a bit shallow, or recess the TOM a bit.

I have seen a DC127 up close and the TOM is not that much smaller than the regular one with out the contour on the bottom. The Carvin Guitars don't have neck angle and they have to recess the TOM in order to get the correct action.

yea i was kinda figuring i would have to recess the bridge anyways , the only reason im even thinking bout going no angle on this one is because the neck blank i have is one i screwed up during my current project and is only 1.5" deep and thats how think my body will be, neck thru btw, other wise id just go with a regular tom and have a neck angle

MzI

Rob, I was looking at your guitar in the progress section, the top looks amazing. How much did you route out of the body to recess the bridge, it doesnt look like that much.

Edited by MzI

I routed a fair amount, but I also am running a small gap between the strings and the body. without a neck angle, going for the big thick maple top look without making the body really thick requires some compromises. the top is around 7/8" thick.

I didn't have a chance to measure everything last night, unfortunately, but I'll try to tonight. I had some house stuff pop up at the last minute.

Also, the carvin CT series features a recessed tom, but their previous guitars with the shallow TOM didn't recess, and didn't have neck angle. the ct's are recessed, and use a different TOM bridge.

I'll try to get you guys some pics and measurements tonight.

Also, the carvin CT series features a recessed tom, but their previous guitars with the shallow TOM didn't recess, and didn't have neck angle.  the ct's are recessed, and use a different TOM bridge. 

I was just about to say that because there has been some confusion about the two bridges. If you want to make sure you get the right one or just want more info call Carvin, like so many other companies they really aren't that good responding to their email.

The lowrider bridge will work just fine with no neck angle and no recess. Carvin does have a pretty wide neck with a large radius (16" or their compound radius which is close to 16" at the end) so keep that in mind. If I remember right their bridges come with a 12" radius or something like that and they file the saddles to their 16" necks. Sorry, my Carvin's buried in the closet so I can't measure the spacing.

the low profile bridges do still come with 12" in radius. filing them down to match their flatter radius is a factory assembly step.

for those that want to recess, you'd be asking for their "M" bridge. those that want the no neck angle part would be asking for the low profile TOM.

I just called up carvin and got some answers. The string spacing is 2 1/16". And for the neck angle they said you dont need a neck angle and it doesnt need to be recessed at all. I am still kind of questioning that as I dont have the actual bridge in my hand so until I do I personally wouldnt rely on that last bit of info even tho it does come directly from carvin. I will be getting one of these over the summer for a project im working on. As for my advice, draw a full scale section with the actual bridge dimensions in the drawing to make sure your string height is ok before you build so you dont have a super high action.

MzI

The thickness of the top is only a factor if the TOM is being mounted on a segment that's been carved down. A flat plane is a flat plane.

Greg

The thickness of the top is only a factor if the TOM is being mounted on a segment that's been carved down.  A flat plane is a flat plane.

Greg

as long as the flat plane is far enough below the level of the strings, sure.

with no neck angle, it's pretty easy to figure out.