Mirror Tops?

I searched several ways but didn't see any titles specifically mentioning Mirror Tops (Cracked Mirror, etc).

I've got some mirror tiles and a body to work with, but what's the best way (i.e. how do the manufacturers do it)? Should I shave the top of the body down the thickness of the tile to keep everything level? Do I need to use grout or can the mirror edges be beveled?

Anyone here ever done one?

Thanks all :D

And I wish I knew where I saw it, but there was a site that had a pretty darn good story of how they did Paul Stanley's cracked mirror guitar back in the 70's.

The final variation ended up being that they routed the top of the guitar down (to match the thickness of the mirror), but left the binding on to work as a final, clean edge.

They tried smashing the mirror, but that just turned into a mess. The best result came from designing a crack-pattern, and then cutting it that way. I believe they also added some type of clear material on top, to avoid getting cut by the mirror edges. You would think that with the mirror pieces flat, and pushed together, there is no way you can cut yourself...

Well, they didn't just leave the pieces flat, but "angled" them all slightly to really get maximum reflections from the guitar. If you just put the mirror back together, perfectly flat, it ends up barely looking cracked, and just giving off one large reflection...

You could always do it like this:

http://www.vai.com/Machines/guitarpages/guitar037.html

:D

You may have seen an article on Ed Roman's site.. he has a mirror top conversion pictorial on there.. it's real mirror.

Real mirror will break in a fashion that looks better I think than plastic.. but plastic won't slice and dice you in the process.

If you want broken, i'd to a real mirror, stretch some saran wrap across it to stick it all together, wrap it in a blanked and hit it a few times with a hammer.. you want big pieces.. not little shards.. Then glue it and i'm not sure what you would fill it with. Probably epoxy.

If you want a solid mirror top, i'd get the plastic mirror stuff and make a layer of it to fit on the guitar top. Then it would look like an ibanez bad horsie..

If all you're doing is thin pinstripes, I'd say go with some automotive pinstriping tape in a shiny chrome finish (AutoZone, etc). This stuff is easy to apply, and easy to remove. You can clear over it if you want it to be permanent, as well.

It'd be a lot cheaper and easier to do it that way, but if you wanted mirrored bevels instead of pins, then yeah I'd go with the plexi-mirror.

You should be able to find those kinds of mirrors at any Dollar Store or Wal-Mart or something.

This is the guitar robert the damned was on about:

mirror_2.JPG

apparently it was done by getting a nice big mirror, backing it with sticky backed plastic (blue peter style :D) and smashing it B) it was then mounted with tile adhesive and grouted. Loverly :D

Hope that's of help.

:D

Yeah, they is lasers. seen it live, you'd never get a LED putting out a stream of light like that! Harder you play the more they light up too. hee hee.

I reckon blue peter should do a guitar made of sticky backed plastic. Might be as good as tracy island :D

talking of the kitchen sink in it, it must weigh a pissing tonne!

Im doing a mirror top on my jem to resemble the bad horsie jem. Its called mirror acrlic that im using, real nice stuff. The way i personally see you doing a cracked is getting the stuff im using then laying out a pattern and cutting with with a band saw or possible a router. Then taking each piece and gluing it back together on the body. Thats just how i see, if you have any questions about it just shot and i will answer as best as possible.

• 1 month later...