Multiple Pickups In Series

thedoctor

After mowing ALL DAY, I am reassembling a Hamer Strat (I like them). I tried putting all three pickups in series with no controls in the way and was kinda disappointed. Why don't three singles in series kick some major output butt? I reversed polarity on each one (amid the 60 cycle din) and really was non-plussed. About all it allowed me to do is turn down the preamp gain. Just an goofy idea while the wires are still loose. Nothin serious.

If you were looking for the output to be really hot because of the combination of the coils, it's not really a direct correlation. I mean if the singles are wound to 6k, it's not like the output level would be the same as a humbucker wound to 18k. The magnet strength is different, and you're getting a lot of cancellation from the huge distance between the coils.

I love the sound of the bridge and middle in series. That's like a fat, smooth humbucker tone but still with some of the clarity and attack of the standard #4 position. I've done that with G&L Asat pickups and it's stellar. And I'm doing it today to a 3 single Ibanez I have.

Neck and bridge is good, too. Too many coils in series (like quad rails humbuckers) kind of takes you backwards a little. The sound almost gets more distant and dull, rather than sounding like a flamethrower.

Yep, that is about as good a term as I can think of to describe it; distant. Any two in series is a lot better but that leaves a person with some serious switching to work out. Better try it on a guitar I own. It is like I always tell my customers:

You can have it good, you can have it fast, you can have it cheap. Pick any two.

Edited by thedoctor