What Do I Do With This?

Drak

I bought this on the 'bay the other day, I think it's a great deal pricewise, and it's thick enough and wide enough that you could do pretty much anything you could dream up with it...1-piece carved top, crazy wacko shape, it'll do it!

But I really have no idea what I'll do with it, just thought it was a good 'will do anything I can think of' piece of wood, and Walnut is good guitar wood.

If I make a 1-piece carved top, it will be a very simplistic design, as in single stop-bar TOM/tailpiece and 2 P-90's, which to me was always the most basic down-to-business rock-n-roll axe ever made.

Ideas?

EBay Walnut Hunk

Nice looking piece. I think a carved top would look great. Walnut has such a cool depth to it when finshed. You might let it set for a bit if it has only been air dried for a year, and maybe seal the ends if they are not sealed allready.

Peace, Rich

Just looked at the Spalt. Would be a killer combo. Great stuff Drak.

So well what Are you wanting for A design

soft'en'silky-- To me I see

something oiled and soft with a nice round top but yet a tough looking design

wet'en'wild--Well You know my taste but I think maybe some thing like

a flat top with wite binding a hipshot bridge One EMG-85 or a P-90 ya know a LP jounior body style would realy work with that wood But ya know what I REALY SEE

-----------------B.C Rich Eagle spin off----------------------

12Bcrich.jpg

Or you could go with some evil demon, kitten killing, slayer design :D

!!METAL MATT!! :D

That's not too bad Matt, it actually makes sense, really good idea on the BC!

But that Walnut sumbich is 19" wide baby, lots of room to play! :DB)

My longest Shark V (25" at longest point) measured across from bottom point to bottom point is just about 19" wide.

Hmmmmm...carved top Sharkster?

Nope, stupid idea. A V would cut out all of the good looking wood in it. :D

an explorer would keep all the figure up in the upper left where you would see it.

or you could turn the piece sideways and bookmatch it to put all of the figure right in the center(19 3/4" is still plenty for most guitars),and use the plain pieces on the side later on some sort of neckthrough.

an explorer would keep all the figure up in the upper left where you would see it.

or you could turn the piece sideways and bookmatch it to put all of the figure right in the center(19 3/4" is still plenty for most guitars),and use the plain pieces on the side later on some sort of neckthrough.

There Ya go now that's a great idea an explorer body style would use up a lot of that figure and now that wes said it it's all I can see comeing out of that wood!

So any way how much more dry time do you think it's going to realy need??

I would let it dry first.... I have a few pieces of claro that I bought that were supposed 5 years dry and I got it and it moved and split an everything. I would let it sit in your shop for at least a half year.

what a steal I paid almost 200+ for a piece like that.

I would take it and split it down the center, and have 2 bookmatched tops 1" thick to carve in any way possible, from explorer to King V, the idea of a one piece V is really tempting, but Ithink that a bookmatch with the lines going from the center down to the point of the V will be darn awsome looking.

Mr. 7-11 Woodbine, I stealth spalted maple on the 'bay almost every danged day.

There aint a doggoned piece of the spalty stock that thine eyes haven't perused perhaps twice or thrice, it's my new favorite Thang dontcha know!

But I appreciate the thought. :DB)

...And I got my favorites all lined up like ducks in a row, I just can't divulge 'em until I win 'em! :D

I really like Matt's BC Rich idea.

I would have never 'gone there' myself, but I'm glad he did.

I think it'll be a BC Rich carved top 1-piece in that design.

Thanks Matt, I KNEW this one was for you! 

SWEEEEEET :D Man That will be so perfect what are you thinking parts wize

some wild kitten slayer or you going for a more tame peting zoo kinda Eagle

I have never seen a Metal Eagle design! Drak I think it's time I did B)

Mr. 7-11 Woodbine, I stealth spalted maple on the 'bay almost every danged day.

There aint a doggoned piece of the spalty stock that thine eyes haven't perused perhaps twice or thrice, it's my new favorite Thang dontcha know!

But I appreciate the thought.  :D  B)

...And I got my favorites all lined up like ducks in a row, I just can't divulge 'em until I win 'em!  :D

So you're telling me there is no difference between Spalted and Figured Ambrosia Maple(s)? That's partially why I pointed it out.

Not really, but they run together.

A dealer that will sell spalted stock will almost always sell Ambrosia too, and you will see Spalted Ambrosia also.

Ambrosia is just that dark red color basically, as opposed to the lighter colored regular Maple.

Matt, it'll be some time before I decide the particulars on this one, there are about a dozen guitars in front of it (:D ). I just shot my final top coats on 4 of them a few days ago.

That's sort of what I meant about 'kicking your butt in the GOTM', that I'm gonna have several guitars done this year, as opposed to last year when I think I only finished/completed maybe one, even tho I worked on probably 20 (a few WOD's in there, hehehe)

I have to figure out where to get a template for it too.