Carved Top Tele

Well, while I wait on my stewmac order for the other guitar, i've started on this one.

Body: Black Limba

Neck: Black Limba

Fretboard: Ziricote

Accent wood: Ziricote

The top is 90% complete. I have some detail rasping up around the neck pocket and some finish scraping to do but here it is. This is a 2 piece with wood purchased from Rich in the "wood for sale" thread. Awesome stuff.

tele2.jpg

I routed a channel down the center edge of one side before the glueup which gave me a channel from cavity to cavity. I saw that on here somewhere, brilliant idea whoever had it!! Electronics will be routed in the rear and a cover plate made from the ziricote veneer piece. Knobs, if I have time, will be turned with a couple of limba offcuts, capped with a ziricote dome. Will recess the knobs a bit too.

Here is a shot of the back. The limba had some nice flame in it that really shows up with i hit it with naptha. View of back

This week will be the neck construction, still trying to decide whether or not to keep the 6 in line thing or do a 3x3. Any of you all have an opinion? I think the 3x3 will be a little better looking considering how I am dressing the body of this thing, but the 6 inline would be more true to form.

oh well. back to the shop!! :D

Looks great, and sorta familiar! Rich's limba/zircote combo is incredible, isn't it? Ok, just to be different, I won't do a tele with mine. :D

Only problem I see, is that the back view mysteriously looks like the front view! :D Oh, ok now it's fixed!

Great work! I'm anxious to see how this one goes.

That is going to look fantastic! I'm not so sure about the 3+3 head, though, unless you did it like a Gibson flying V headstock. That could be nice. Otherwise, I would go with either a standard tele, or the large pattern strat headstock.

The neck will be a tele style neck.. done with a tele neck template.. but i will alter the headstock to an original design. I don't want to copy a standard one.

I'm thinking kind of a tobacco burst finish.. matching headstock. let the grain really show through though.

edges.. i thought about binding but have never done it before. I still might consider it, but was leaning more toward a natural edge.. It dips in slightly like a PRS carve. There's still room to change my mind though.

Thanks for the comments!

I'd go with 6- inline and maybee a beffier headstock than what teles usually have. Might make the carving look more robust. IS that going to be string-through? With ferrels? Or the standard tele oufit?

Ferrules. I just haven't installed them yet.

Bridge is a wilkinson vintage tele bridge with the 2-per, swiveling compensated saddles.

Gotoh Kluson nickel tuners, and the UPs are GFS premium vintage overwounds. Really cool pickups. I've tested them a little but can't wait to hear them in this guitar. The bridge is 9.2k.

Electronics: i'm doing the standard tele setup, but i'm going to go with a 3 way toggle instead of a blade switch. 1) i don't want to have to cut a slot for the thing :D and 2) i don't really like tele blade switches. An LP style toggle is easier to manipulate, in my opinion

I'll probably go with the 6 inline, mostly because I have the tuners purchased already. I think it boils down to the fact that i like my design sketches of the 3/3 better than the 6 sketches :D but hey, it's a bolt-on, i can always switch it out if i dont' end up liking it...

Just got my truss rods in from AllParts. Nice little double-action rods. They are 1/4 wide and 5/16 deep. Don't take up much room at all.

For the neck i'm planning somewhat of a reverse taper - a v-shape down around the nut end for chording and flattening out to more of a vintage C around the upper frets. It won't be a whimpy neck.

OK These are rough! but this is my dilemma. I am leaning toward the 3x3 peghead with a scarf joint.. or I could do the 6 with a straight neck like a fender. Which peghead do you think compliments the body style more appropriately? (or if you think they both blow -- i can take it :D ) I'm cutting this puppy out tonight and would love your opinions.

And I guess if i'm ripping off anyone, feel free to tell me that too. Thanks,

pegheads.jpg

if it was a flattop tele, there would be no question.. but with the carve, and how i'm going to do the control knobs and recesses.. i think it calls for the 3+3.. I'll have to hold the designs up to each other but with the feedback and my own leanings, i feel pretty good about the 3+3..

Clean work Marcus. Looks great. I think I would do 6 in-line myself. Have you tested the burst colors on an extra piece of the Limba. It's kinda hard to visualize how that would look. Keep up the good work!

Peace, Rich

Here is a link to a limba guitar that has been given a "brazillian burst" - there are several others in this gallery if you want to see more views.

Bursted Limba

The whole gallery

By the way - it looks great so far. :D

Bill

Clean work Marcus. Looks great. I think I would do 6 in-line myself. Have you tested the burst colors on an extra piece of the Limba. It's kinda hard to visualize how that would look. Keep up the good work!

Peace, Rich

Here is a link to a limba guitar that has been given a "brazillian burst" - there are several others in this gallery if you want to see more views.

Bursted Limba

The whole gallery

By the way - it looks great so far. :D

Bill

wow!! those are awesome looking.. just what I was envisioning. I love the grain of limba. You've given me inspiration. Thank you sir! :D

-marcus

QUOTE(fryovanni @ May 10 2005, 12:13 AM)

Peace, Rich

Bursted Limba

The whole gallery

By the way - it looks great so far. 

Bill

Thanks Bill,

Those are wonderful looking finishes. It seems like the most complimentary bursts use a yellow or even clear and then thin on the black outer edge so as to show off the figure. I will keep that link for future referance.

Marcus- Both of those headstock designs look great!

Peace, Rich

Those are wonderful looking finishes. It seems like the most complimentary bursts use a yellow or even clear and then thin on the black outer edge so as to show off the figure. I will keep that link for future referance.

Marcus- Both of those headstock designs look great!

Peace, Rich

Seems we spotted the same one. I'm wanting dark brown edge, possibly even black, but very thin, more to enhance the shape of the carve rather than anything else. The middle will probably stay natural. The color is so great on it's own with a clearcoat.

I'm doing a black epoxy grain fill so that will bring out the grain patterns even more.

The other night was a waste.. i burned up all my time figuring out how to tackle a scarf joint on a neck that was wider than my table saw blade would cut.. I decided (time will tell if it was a good decision or not!!) to rip the piece to 3" wide, scarf joint that, then take my offcut and make ears for the peghead. Should work fine.

Body carve is finished - i'll get pics up over the weekend. I got some of those little rubber sanding blocks/wedges/cylinders etc.. that you use for sanding odd shapes and those are really making all my edges uniform.

Next step is to shoot some test spots with the behlan jet spray toners on my offcuts to see what works for the burst.

I'll try to get more pics of things.. i really wanted to photograph every step of the way of the carve and such but 1) i'm learning to carve as I go and 2) my wife and I just bought a canon digital rebel and while an awesome camera, the idea of me taking it to the shop doesn't go over so well :D i'll have to get a cheap shop cam that can take getting some dust on it.

I did? I built the one that's over in the mimf library. Actually, Marcus already asked me about my scarf jointing via PM. From what he said, I'm guessing he built the same jig I did. The problem is that the blade only has 3" cutting height on our saws. What I did was cut through as high as the blade would cut, then use that kerf as a guide to handsaw the rest of the way through. Then just clean it all up with a block plane. I don't think I'll do that again, I think I'll just use narrower stock and glue on ears. That's more efficient anyhow.

I did? I built the one that's over in the mimf library. Actually, Marcus already asked me about my scarf jointing via PM. From what he said, I'm guessing he built the same jig I did. The problem is that the blade only has 3" cutting height on our saws. What I did was cut through as high as the blade would cut, then use that kerf as a guide to handsaw the rest of the way through. Then just clean it all up with a block plane. I don't think I'll do that again, I think I'll just use narrower stock and glue on ears. That's more efficient anyhow.

Rarely am I accused of being efficient!! )

The joint seems good. I tried to pull, bend, pry the joint as hard as I could and couldn't get a creak out of it.. Just gotta glue on the ears and i'll be back in business