New Neck For Yamaha

I recently purchased a Yamaha SE-203 strat clone off E-bay. The body and tuners are good but I find the neck is a little narrow. My son has a Yamaha Pacifica 821R and his fretboard measures 44mm at the nut, mine is 39 or 40mm at the nut. Also the fretwires are worn in the first few positions. I would like to change the neck. Mighty Mite has strat replacement necks for reasonable prices. My guitar has 22 frets but what other information do I need to have in order to buy the right one? What problems may I run into? I noticed that necks come with jumbo, medium jumbo etc. frets. Is this refering to

the height of the fretwire or the width of the frets? I found this wesite and now I am interested in doing some modifications perhaps a custom paint job. This seems like a good place to start. Any help would be appreciated.

Tony.. :D

Some folks here can help with places to get decent and decent-priced necks.

Obvious things: (scale length is strat, neck pocket size, # frets, right/left hand)

Lots of other details:

- profile of the neck (fat, skinny, thin, etc. or other profiles: wizard)

- frets (jumbo humps up more, medium or normal is standard, I think)

- Want tuning pegs on that? if so, which make/model/kind?

- inlays are dots or something special

- two-way truss rod? or single action?

- etc.

Hit www.warmoth.com -> guitars -> necks ->strat®

That page lists out all the variables + shows neck profiles + etc.

After the neck is mounted on the guitar -- you still need to have it adjusted/set-up.

The neck adjustment + string height, nut, bridge configuration makes or breaks a guitar -- in my opinion.

-- joe

Some folks here can help with places to get decent and decent-priced necks.

Obvious things: (scale length is strat, neck pocket size, # frets, right/left hand)

Lots of other details:

- profile of the neck (fat, skinny, thin, etc. or other profiles: wizard)

- frets (jumbo humps up more, medium or normal is standard, I think)

- Want tuning pegs on that? if so, which make/model/kind?

- inlays are dots or something special

- two-way truss rod? or single action?

- etc.

Hit www.warmoth.com -> guitars -> necks ->strat®

That page lists out all the variables + shows neck profiles + etc.

After the neck is mounted on the guitar -- you still need to have it adjusted/set-up.

The neck adjustment + string height, nut, bridge configuration makes or breaks a guitar -- in my opinion.

-- joe

I browsed Warmouth but their necks are very expensive. I only paid $80 for the guitar. I looked at Jemsite and they seem to have inexpensive necks so I will try to keep the price down as this is my first attempt at anything like this. If I screw up I won't be out too much money. The only problem with Jemsite is their isn't very much info on the necks. I will keep looking.

Tony..

I browsed  Warmouth but their necks are very expensive. I only paid $80 for the guitar. I looked at Jemsite and they seem to have  inexpensive necks so I will try to keep the price down as this is my first attempt at anything like this. If I screw up I won't be out too much money. The only problem with Jemsite is their isn't very much info on the necks. I will keep looking.

Tony..

Tony --

I was just pointing out the Warmoth site for the info they give. Yes, they're expensive.

Remember, the string path (nut, neck, fretboard, bridge, pickups and their setup) factors VERY strongly in guitar playability. Also, these are the pieces of the guitar that are dealing with the string tension, etc.

So ... I don't think there are any inexpensive necks out there, unless you watch eBay for good deals.

-- joe

[

Tony --

I was just pointing out the Warmoth site for the info they give. Yes, they're expensive.

Remember, the string path (nut, neck, fretboard, bridge, pickups and their setup) factors VERY strongly in guitar playability. Also, these are the pieces of the guitar that are dealing with the string tension, etc.

So ... I don't think there are any inexpensive necks out there, unless you watch eBay for good deals.

-- joe