Crapped Out Router

So I'm routing the reference line for the carve on my newest creation, and 'POW!!' *sparkspark* it's dead :D ....I was setting a new record, too. I have 3 days in this entire build so far, and I only have one, two days tops before I can start finishing. And I've spent just about a grand in the last month already. AND the guy I would normally borrow one from is out of town for over a week. Joy, now it's time to go figure this deal out.

What kind of router was it? If you are looking for a new one I would HIGHLY suggest the Bosch 1617EVS. Amazon has the kit with the edge guide for like $220 w/ free shipping.

If it doesn't smell REAL bad of burnt plastic, it may not be a total die-bird. Routers are awful simple and they run real hot to make all dat horsepower. Number one culprit is a burnt connection at one of the brush holders. I got both of my big routers given to me cause day was boke. NOT. Just a few connection issues and they been going for years. Unless it smells BAD.

It doesn't smell bad, but if I shake it, there's metal clanging around inside. When it sparked, I felt little pieces of metal flying all over me. I'm borrowing one from a friend for now (the only thing I needed the router for was the neck pocket and pickup cavities) but I need to get a new one pretty quickly. It's been acting weird for quite some time, so I'm not suprised it broke finally.

if I had to buy a new router... I would get the 2.25 hp porter cable one. That was my main router on my first pin router and got through 20ish guitar with it and never had a problem. I also have the huge 3 1/4 hp one but never use it cause its to big...

I've used one of the 3-1/4 PC ones before and like you said, I felt like it was too big. And it was as heavy as a load of bricks. I'm nearly sure I'm going with a Porter Cable. I have a friend that has a PC router table that he never uses and said I could have if I could ever use it. It'd sure be nice not to have to rig up a table. Then again, I never use the router table I did rig up since I got a shaper at a yard sale for $30.