Wood For An Ibanez

Im not sure with out seeing it but From What I know They use a few wood's

1.Basswood

2.Mahogany

3.Im not sure If they still use it but Agathis wood

And manay outhers but The RG's seem to go with Basswood the most!

http://www.ibanez.com/guitars/series.asp?s=rg&l=e

!!METAL MATT!! :D

I have a 9 year old RG and it's PLYWOOD!! CRAP!! Have a look inside the pickup cavity, but that'll only tell you whether it's PLYWOOD!! CRAP!! or not.

I'm sure you were more careful than I was. Also, try calling Ibanez and giving them the serial number. They can usually tell you. Or try email if you're not in a hurry.

Edited by sexybeast

I have a 9 year old RG and it's PLYWOOD!!  CRAP!!  Have a look inside the pickup cavity, but that'll only tell you whether it's PLYWOOD!!  CRAP!!  or not.

I'm sure you were more careful than I was.  Also, try calling Ibanez and giving them the serial number.  They can usually tell you.  Or try email if you're not in a hurry.

It's a '97 model. About calling, where would I find the Ibanez number?

If it's an RG420 from 97' it is most likely Basswood. Basswood is pretty much all they seem to use on those models. Even the Jems are Basswood. Some are others, butnot many. Usually the real high end ones will use Alder or something else.

I could be wrong, this is just based off of several bodies I have owned and what they were...I am no expert.

They use mainly basswood. Almost every guitars are built with.

A few models (like the oldest JEM 7VWH) are alder, the neck through models are mahogany - maple top.

This is valid for RG and JEM series. Others I don't know.

:D