Complete Noob

Hi People, Just joined up today. Forum's great, lots of info!

I'm thinking of putting together something myself, however i am a complete novice with no tools and no experience at all! :D

I don't want to get too ahead of myself or anything. I don't think i could handle shaping a neck etc. I might just get myself a big plank of mahogany or maple or something and start on a body and get a neck from warmoth or something.

I was just wondering if anyone had any general advice? Is making a guitar 'hard' for a beginner?

I think i may get stuck when it comes to stuff like routing etc.

Any advice is appreciated. Thanks :D

Well, if its advice you seek, use the search button at the top right of your screen, all the info you will probibly need is in there. As for making a body, read the tutorial on the main site, its good. Theres really not alot else i can say apart from Welcom to Project Guitar :D

Just noticed this was my 500th post, i need to get out more...

Edited by Marzocchi705

Well, if its advice you seek, use the search button at the top right of your screen, all the info you will probibly need is in there. As for making a body, read the tutorial on the main site, its good. Theres really not alot else i can say apart from Welcom to Project Guitar :D

Couldnt agree more... "Search".. you will usually find your answer within minuites reading through the posts... if not then post... :D

Hope you enjoy your stay here BonzaiBob

~~ Slain Angel ~~

Bob, unless I am mistaken, you are a person with more time on your hands than a lot of us. It is not a necessity to "route" the neck pocket or any other pocket. The same result can be achieved with time and some sharp tools (chisels, exactos, etc.) If you were to score a neck to start with, get a piece of whatever wood and practice making the pocket. You will enjot the effort.

I'm thinking of putting together something myself, however i am a complete novice with no tools and no experience at all!  :D

Yep, you're talking about me six months ago...but I've gone ahead and tried anyhow.

I also started with no tools...now I've got a whole cabinet full! Hell, all I needed to do was sell a couple of the guitars I had sitting around that I never play anyway, that bought pretty much everything I needed.

I personally moved into power tools pretty quickly, just didn't have the patience or talent to work by hand. Or the time...

I also don't build necks, don't think I ever will, even though I know it'll never feel quiet right...still, you have to know your limitations. But never say never...we'll see where this takes me.

In the meantime, I'm working on a 'practice guitar' as my first real project, I'm making tons of mistakes, having lots of fun too (see the Convertible in the progress section).

It helps that I'm working with scrap wood and the tons of spare parts I've built up over time...this guitar will cost me close to nothing. I don't recommend buying good quality wood for your first guitar, since you're a beginner. You'll get too nervous about screwing it up --and you have to expect to screw things up.

Also, every time I get a new tool (just picked up a scroll saw today!) I spend some time practicing with it on scrap wood, to get a feel of what it does, what I can do with it.

And I'm in no rush...I started my current project weeks and weeks ago (had to take time off to work and play guitar...). Some days, I just know I shouldn't bother--I know I'll screw up completely.

You might start off with a simple modification (see the Bocaster, my first project) or even just in refinishing a guitar, because that's an art in itself...

Oh and one last tip--make sure you keep at least one guitar around that's playable (some guys seems to take apart their only guitar to work on that...)

The main thing is that if you approach this as a learning experience, you can have a great time at it... :D

Hey Guys, thanks for all the replies.

Yeah i'm taking it one step at a time for now, i ordered that book ''how to build an electric guitar'' that's recommended on the main site. I'll start off reading that and getting an idea on where to start.

Originally i kinda wanted to delve into the deep end and make a PRS'esq guitar, i'm a big fan of a carved top!! This is obviously going way ahead of myself though :D

So i think i'm gonna start on something a little more simple, so it's a telecaster for now methinks.

I'll be practising on lots of scrap wood first to get used to shaping it and routing etc but as soon as i feel confident enough i'll be going for the good stuff. To be honest i don't think i'll have *too* many problems with the wood, i pick stuff like that up fairly quickly. It's the wiring i may find difficult, i've no clue about that what so ever! I'm pretty handy with a soldering iron but the scematics i look at for pickups are way over my head!!! But i'm sure it looks like that for any beginner. I have an old epiphone that i can use to practise that kinda stuff though.

I have to say i'm VERY excited about starting though, every guitarist should have their own custom guitar.

:D

Bob,

You have the right approch. You are going to do your homework, and get some hands on with the tools started. That is ideal. Don't be too intimidated by building a neck. It requires knowledge and practice, but it is just another step in the process. I am sure you can do it. I wish you the best of luck!

Peace, Rich

Sure wish *I* had done a telecaster for my first project. Then I wouldn't be sitting here staring at my wood all the time thinking, "great, now what the f*** do I do?"

:D

Hi BB,

It seems to me that you are ahead of the game compared to some of the people who come here looking for advice. You appear mature and thoughtful, and willing and able to honestly rate your skill set before just jumping in and wasting time and wood, not mention cuss words.

Aside from the book you ordered and the search function on this part of the web site, check out the tutorials in the main part of the site. There is a ton of info there, and links to other sites that contain even more info.

One thing to becareful is that building guitars can become addicting, and you can start to acquire a collection of them. Different woods, PUPs, body designs, bridges, etc....

Take care,

Guitar ed

It's the wiring i may find difficult, i've no clue about that what so ever! I'm pretty handy with a soldering iron but the scematics i look at for pickups are way over my head!!! But i'm sure it looks like that for any beginner. I have an old epiphone that i can use to practise that kinda stuff though.

Basic wiring is pretty straightforward, hell, even I've managed to figure it out...I change pickups all the time, there's not much to it. Of course, if you want to get real fancy, that's something else. But your basic two-pickup guitar isn't too difficult to put together...