New Flying-v Design! The Deadhead

Awesome lookin stuff man. The original b/w drawings don't do it justice. I like the beveling idea too, think it'll make it very wing like. The cutouts in the notch of the V don't look as generic in the real body as they do in the illustration. What you have looks more organic.. almost flame like. Very cool.

Ya Im extremly Happy with how well it worked out sofar and I gota say man That I just LOVE working with this Oak, I think I have a new fav wood!! and I cant wait to get the edeg's all done that should realy bring this design to life!!

!!METAL MATT!! :D

• Replies 157
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Matt, still lookin good. I saw today in a book that purpleheart has a heavier gravity than rock maple and the weight varied from lighter to quite a bit heavier. Does it feel hard. Hard enough for a neck? Have any of you done this? Pics? Would there be any downfalls to use it as a neck?By the way what are you going to do as a fretboard? Keep us updated. Jason

I've Never done It But I have heard all over that purpleheart makes for A great neck, BUT it is realy tough on cuting Bit's and blade's The stuff is HARD but I love It B)

MzI is useing right now For his Flying-V

http://projectguitar.ibforums.com/index.ph...opic=13404&st=0

And for My fretboard's Im thinking about useing Ziricote :D

Matt, Thanks I saw purpleheart cheap at my local shop and their counter top was made of it and it looks like it ages real well, and the guy said it stains good. Are you buying your ziricote from Fryovanni? Looks good. Today I also saw a wood called Cocobolo, this wood looks awesome to me, some pieces were two tone length wise, it would have made a killer fretboard. One half was very pale like maple and the other was dark like ebony. Have you every looked into using this stuff? I wonder if it would make good fretboard material. What is your weapon of choice for shaping your necks? Thanks again Matt! Jason

What is your weapon of choice for shaping your necks? Thanks again Matt! Jason

HAHAHA B) Well It may surpize you to Know Than I have been building guitars for years But I have yet to complete a neck :D But I am working on one now

It's just taking a long Time since most of my time is spent working on friend's guitars and this new house Im in

Well It may surpize you to Know Than I have been building guitars for years But I have yet to complete a neck blink.gif But I am working on one now

Matt, No worries that means we are on the same page as far as necks go. We can exchange thoughts and ideas as we go. Did you get a chance to check out cocobolo ? I'm not sure if it's strong enough, But if it is, I'm all over it. It might go really well with the maple neck. Are you doing a one piece, is it maple or oak? I know you love that oak! Keep up the wood shredding! Jason

wow Matt, that looks awesome!!

my 7 string design, now that i look at it more, resembles the Bastard V of Neal Moser's so much, you think i would have coppied it :D

so, dangit, back to the drawing board, but, i will give you a hint, it is a V, LOL

Curtis

coolnob.jpg

Thanks Guy's!! Ok This is not much of a big deal But I have the new knob's for this design

I have realy Loved the look of these things for a year now, they just look so cold and sterile Like something from a 1950's science horror movie

I love it! And Now that I got my Varitone from BigD that Im going to use on the

purpleheart body It should all come out realy well!!

If you are going for the name The Claw, you could paint the knob so the pointed part looked like a nail, and the rest like a finger, so it looks like a claw from a dragon or monster or somethings. BTW those are dope. Are they push on or set screwed? Are they plastic? Lookin Good! Jason

Hey cool Idea man Im going to think about that! B)

and There set screwed and plastic Just like The ones That BigD uses :D

Cool thanks and I would Like to see your design Pm me when You post them!

Well You could Look at what fryovanni has for sale He has some really good stuff!!

and eBay Is really good Lots of stuff on there Have You looked for any hard wood shop's around You?? I would Do that first!!

Well You could Look at what fryovanni has for sale He has some really good stuff!!

Hey Matt, is that where you get your zircote? Do you know what the thickness of his fretboards is? I looked through it again recently and some some very nice flamed and quilted maple. I will be doing a quilted maple top on my purpleheart body.

How thick should I go for a top? It will most likely be a jem style guitar, I know everyone has done one, so now I have to do mine.

Got any new pics on your progress, Metal Matt shredding some Metal Mayhem! LOL

Kinda makes guitar building sound badass. Maybe you should think about starting a company name for your work on guitars. Maybe start stamping the back of the neck on the headstock or the cavity cover. That way 10 years from now your first lines of guitars will be considered collector axes and wil be worth a whole lot of money. Keep up the progress! Jason

Well Ran in to some troble today on the purpleheart-V There's A gap on the glue line where the purpleheart on the wing meet's the Lace wood So now I think Im going to Have To change my RR-V tapered edge idea and Go with a even beveld edge all the way round and Hopefully this Will get rid Of the gap top and botom

I do have a qustion! I know It's been done On the forum But I cant find it :D

How Is this type Of a jack recess done? and Help would be cool Im planing On trying this On the back of the lower wing

http://www.ibanez.com/guitars/guitar.asp?model=SA160QM&z=y

Hey Matt, is that where you get your zircote? Do you know what the thickness of his fretboards is? I looked through it again recently and some some very nice flamed and quilted maple. I will be doing a quilted maple top on my purpleheart body.

How thick should I go for a top? It will most likely be a jem style guitar, I know everyone has done one, so now I have to do mine.

Well I get My Zircote Hear in town,and Im not sure On what thickness his fretboard's are You should Just PM him He would Be glade to help Ya!!

Well Ran in to some troble today on the purpleheart-V There's A gap on the glue line where the purpleheart on the wing meet's the Lace wood So now I think Im going to Have To change my RR-V tapered edge idea and Go with a even beveld edge all the way round and Hopefully this Will get rid Of the gap top and botom

I do have a qustion! I know It's been done On the forum But I cant find it  :D

How Is this type Of a jack recess done? and Help would be cool Im planing On trying this On the back of the lower wing

http://www.ibanez.com/guitars/guitar.asp?model=SA160QM&z=y

Thats' the same way i did the jack on my bastard V. It works great. I can't imagine a V without it! Nice work B)

Ok I had To chang the design The Gap Is really bad so now It's got a realy strong

bastard-V influance going on In fact I like the new design Way more!! :D

I'll try to get some pic's up

Talk about lemon aid from lemon's :D

And I still need some help on that Jack idea :D

!!METAL MATT!! B)

Sorry you had some problems, that always sucks when things don't go according to plan. But thats awsome that you like the new design better, I can't wait to see your new improvements. I hope you post some pics soon. Do you use anything special for working on the purpleheart because it's so hard? Also what do you use to finish it? I really liked how the Impaler turned out the color was just incredible. Keep up the good work and progress pics! Jason

THENEWCLAWSS.jpg

Ok this Is How It's going to look I realy like This new one WAY MORE :D

Do you use anything special for working on the purpleheart because it's so hard? Also what do you use to finish it

No I dont realy do Anything special! I do Have a HUGE new band saw with ton's of power So that really help's But I Did not have It when I started and I did fine

just take your time and keep the blade clean (turn off the saw first B)) purpleheart can Gum up a blade real fast sometime's and than it start's to burn

So like I said Take your time! :D

Oh ya And For A finish I just used a clear finish on the IMPALER

!!METAL MATT!! B)

Hell Ya, that looks badas$, I really like the barbs that run down the side. The cutting edge is what it looks like as a name to me. I'm telling you with all these designs you need to put a company name to it, all you need to do is find a guitar manufacturer and sell them your ideas and they could start you with your own line of guitars, all you would have to do is give them a template of the different designs and the specs, and they could do the rest. Very creative stuff really! Thanks for posting some pics and the advice on the purpleheart, I'm still doing a little more planning and then I will be starting my project, as well as a thread for my progress. Also what will be the wood makeup of your new guitar, are you going to keep up with your passion for oak?I got my camera back too for pictures. Thanks again. Jason

Ok Maybe some one Could help with this Jack! does anyone know where I could

Buy this type of a jack plate??

http://www.ibanez.com/guitars/guitar.asp?model=EDB600&z=y