I Found The Holy Grail.

I found this store way back in the industrial district in Reno, close to where I live. Ive been searching for soooo long for a local wood supplier! I am completely sick of paying for wood I only get to see a picture of and then getting raped by shipping. Anyway, I walk into this place to find that it is huge!!! They have so many different species of exotic hardwood and tonewoods I was seriously baffled. So many lengths, sizes, & widths, I was really freaking out. The workers in the store started to really look at me weird when I kept running from the woods to the price list like a 6 year old at toys r' us!! I couldn't believe how inexpensive they where compared to other suppliers Ive found on the net.

So anyway after about a half hour of me just gaulking, I walk out of there with enough purple heart & lace wood to make 2, 3 piece necks and an enormous plank of some really nicely grained ash to make 4 body blanks. All for $70. :D I would have paid twice that amount if not more if I purchased through allot of these "recommended suppliers".. Im really stoked!

:D

Good for you man! I bet their are a lot of other guys out there that have that local supplier closer than they think. You just have to really look for them. There is no better way to get wood than to hand select it, and not having to pay shipping is huge. You should watch for hard to find woods and offer it to others on the board that don't have access. I know I can't get decent Swamp Ash and I have great local suppliers.

Peace, Rich

Congrats egdeltar, i wish i had a nice supplier near mine...and yes i have searched... LOTS lol and to no avail... the nearest is approx 20 miles away... and for a student who doesnt drive... it prooves intresting blink.gif

Yeah, and you don't have friends, or family with cars, right? :D

And yeah, it's nice to find a good supply locally.

how much would a peice of tight flamed maple aprox 2 foot x 3 foot x 5 inches and a matching peice about 4 foot x 6 inches by 8 inches run? with shipping?

i guess i better bust out the phone book cause i need to build a new v body.

I don't know what would scare me the most. Shipping those logs, or the price tag on 20/4 and 24/4 figured Maple (assuming it was dry and ready to use).

Egdeltar- That is a pretty good price for about 18 bd. ft of lumber (avg. $4 bd ft.). Regular Woodcraft stores can hook you up with hard Ash for about $4-6 bd. ft for 8/4. Purpleheart is usually $7-9 bd ft. Lacewood can vary a bit but should be close to $8-10 bd ft. You did good dude. Did you get a chance to see if they carry some of the harder to get pieces. Like 8"+ 4/4 or 8/4 -Ebony Mac., Cocobola, Zircote, Bocote, Mad. Rosewood, Ind. Rosewood, Aus Blackwood, Afr Blackwood, pink Ivory etc... that look good at good prices. I am always trying to get my hands on more material for my acoustics, but availability comes and goes so I have to get what I can as long as the price is fair.

Peace, Rich

how much would a peice of tight flamed maple aprox 2 foot x 3 foot x 5 inches and a matching peice about 4 foot x 6 inches by 8 inches run? with shipping?

i guess i better bust out the phone book cause i need to build a new v body.

Did you get a chance to see if they carry some of the harder to get pieces. Like 8"+ 4/4 or 8/4 -Ebony Mac., Cocobola, Zircote, Bocote, Mad. Rosewood, Ind. Rosewood, Aus Blackwood, Afr Blackwood, pink Ivory etc... that look good at good prices. I am always trying to get my hands on more material for my acoustics, but availability comes and goes so I have to get what I can as long as the price is fair.

Peace, Rich

They had all of that Rich.... 4/4 and 8/4 in several different lengths. Next time I go up there I will check all the currect prices and see what they have to offer.

Jera- That tree would cost alot to ship!!! You would better be off looking for a local supplier.