Need Help Building A Bass

Hi. I'm trying to build a bass in under a week, but it doesnt have to look nice as long as i can tune it and it plays. I don't need fancy wood--plywood would work. What type of tuners should I get? By the way I'm making it as if the strings were the same as a guitar, but with the four bass strings. In other words, an octave bass. Any ideas of what type of string I could use? Thanks for any help.

I'm attempting it...but I'm working with at least one more person. I'm mostly worried about the tuning and the strings...I'll worry about the body and neck later. Oh yeah, and it's going to be fretless and I'm not dealing with electronics yet. Just dealing with the sound to be an octave higher is all I'm worried about now.

I'm attempting it...but I'm working with at least one more person. I'm mostly worried about the tuning and the strings...I'll worry about the body and neck later. Oh yeah, and it's going to be fretless and I'm not dealing with electronics yet. Just dealing with the sound to be an octave higher is all I'm worried about now.

Im getting confused now... so in a week.. its going to be acoustic then since your having no p/u's... fretless...order the neck or make? im a bit confused from your first post to this post about what you actually WANT from us and WHAT you want in a week?

~~ Slain Angel ~~

Okay let's see. All I want to know is what type of strings I should get to make it an octave higher and what tunings I should get. The rest I can take care of. Sorry for the confusion.

Nah actually i want to appologise.. reading back through your orignal post... it becomes clear what you asked... im a lil tired and suppose thats why i was a bit snappy n harsh

Sorry Jedcaj

~~ Slain Angel ~~

It's okay. I know you didn't mean anything by it. My post probably also seemed quick and unorganized because I'm getting ready for a banquet while trying to figure out what I need to do for this bass.

Glad to see things are ok between us then :D

Now to be honest with you i havent a clue about octave bass's... i only know how to abuse a normal bass...

Good luck with your banquet though

~~ Slain Angel ~~

It all depends on your scale length. If it is going to be in the 24 to 30" range, use heavy-gauge guitar strings. If you are going for a 30 to 35" scale, use the top two strings from an electric 5-string and the low E and A from a heavy guitar set. I built FrankenBass in three hours and it looks like I spent almost four on it. Also, no electronics. Piezo rules! I built it to finger pick. Good luck finding guitar strings long enough for a 35".

Edited by thedoctor

I'm mostly worried about the tuning and the strings...I'll worry about the body and neck later

If you havent "worried" about the body and neck yet, I dont think you'll get this done in a week, sorry. Have you ever built an instrument before?

If you havent "worried" about the body and neck yet, I dont think you'll get this done in a week, sorry. Have you ever built an instrument before?

What I meant was that I know what I need to do. I'm not worrying about how I'm styling it, but I know how to put it together. I'm just unsure about the strings but I think everyone has given me some good advice...thanks guys.