Considering A Floyd Rose

Ahh i just cant make up my mind :D

I am about to be paid for a job i completed on saturday and want to finish of my JEM/RG wannabe guitar.

Now ive been looking around on E(vil)bay and have found a Licensed floyd rose for £39.99 buy it now.

Now i know that they dont offer the best sustain nor do they keep in tune as well BUT do you think i shouls still get it?

Im on a VERY tight budget and have always liked the Floyd rose (got one on my other guitar)

Im just wary of it due to it being a Licensed and not an Orignal

All help is appreciated

~~ Slain Angel ~~

Edited by SlainAngel

The fact that it's not original isn't the main thing. Some of the best Floyds (apparently) are licensed ones. The problem is-- who is it licensed TO, and do they make a quality product?

For 40 squids, I would be very very leery. 40 pounds may fit your budget now, but consider this: if it ends up being crap and you decide later to replace it with a different one (hopefully one that will fit the routs you've made!), that's 40 pounds PLUS the cost of the new one, for a substantially larger total.

My suggestion isn't to pass up on in it per se-- merely to provide a link and/or some details like the brand and model name so that people here with more knowledge about Floyds than I have could tell you if it's a complete waste of money, an "OK" budget solution, or a great deal.

Greg

In the great world that is e-bay...it doesnt actually tell us who its licesned to but heres a link anyway

E-bay Floyd rose

I know that the possibitily of it being crap, and having to replace it is very real but with a tight budget... and a severe craving to abuse a floyd... it seems ok...

~~ Slain Angel ~~

Edited by SlainAngel

To be honest mate, Those kind of floyds are usually shite! I'd save up and get a Gotoh one off brian (universaljems). Work out about 65-70 quid, and they're alot better than the cheapo licensed ones. It's like drugs, always get the proper jobby if you can afford it!

:D

Hey sambo... you joined just a day before me :D

I looked around on Brian's site but ive always had my heart set on a Floyd... Not sure why its just ive always liked how they are when abusing em... this would be used on stage so would need to withstand a big beating... ive reserved my KKV for mainly studio work

~~ Slain Angel ~~

Hi Slain,

That Floyd copy doesn't look too bad...I've seen much worse....

I'd say it would work OK...just be careful adjusting it...

the metal would be softer than a real one...nuts can be stripped much easier...

40 pounds isn't super cheap..it's like 120 Australian dollars...

and if you look at the ad, it looks like you'll be payin' postage from the US as well...

Doesn't look too bad though...the tuning knobs are the giveaway for it being a cheapie...

Hi Slain,

That Floyd copy doesn't look too bad...I've seen much worse....

I'd say it would work OK...just be careful adjusting it...

the metal would be softer than a real one...nuts can be stripped much easier...

40 pounds isn't super cheap..it's like 120 Australian dollars...

and if you look at the ad, it looks like you'll be payin' postage from the US as well...

Doesn't look too bad though...the tuning knobs are the giveaway for it being a cheapie...

Read slightly further down on that page and it says postage is only £5 :D

This thread i can see turning confusing... so far ive had different views some saying its good.. some saying its not "to bad" and some saying dont get it but go with Gotoh...

Thanks for your help so far

~~ Slain Angel ~~

im kinda new around here but id like to add my 2 cents.

i Hate floyd rose with a locking nut. i HATe them. they are a pain in the ass for something thats not going to be used much.

now if you like them id say go with the good one. cause a cheap one is just going to detune and strip. a really nice one form a good company and if it sucks you can send it back.

just my two cents.

i Hate floyd rose with a locking nut. i HATe them. they are a pain in the ass for something thats not going to be used much.

Im kind of confused by this...if you read a few posts up i explained that it would be used on stage... ok perhaps it wasnt informative enough but... i play gigs 2 or 3 nights a week so itd be abused a lot... the locking nut would be essential for keeping it in tune when i abuse her

And yes i know it makes changing to Drop D tuning etc a lil harder.. hence why i have my other guitar tuned to Drop D ready to pick up :D

~~ Slain Angel ~~

Don't sweat it, they're just mentioning their personal dislike for Floyds. :D Some peeps like them, some don't. Vai and Satch seem to be doing OK with them. <grin>

Greg

Don't sweat it, they're just mentioning their personal dislike for Floyds.  :D  Some peeps like them, some don't.  Vai and Satch seem to be doing OK with them.  <grin>

Greg

LOL But hey GregP.. who are Vai and satch? cant be that good if there using floyds hey? :D

Any further input GregP about the decision.. that E-bay page is fairly useless to help identify it further then just being a licensed

~~ Slain Angel ~~

Nothing too specific from me, unfortunately. Almost anybody else on here will have more info about specific Floyds than I could give you. Since it's a "no-name brand" model, I'd be leery. It's fully 20 pounds more, but I say go for the Gotoh. It's disheartening at times paying so much when you weren't planning for it, but I can tell you this:

When you get a piece of decent gear in hand, you know it, and you're ALWAYS happy with that decision. Rarely do you get something higher quality and go, "crap, wish I had just got the cheapie" but very often people get the cheapie and say, "man, it even FEELS cheap. Sure wish I had been more patient."

The "die cast body" says it all. You want machined brass (or steel? Do they come in steel?)

Greg

Nothing more from me, unfortunately.  Almost anybody else on here will have more info about specific Floyds than I could give you.  Since it's a "no-name brand" model, I'd be leery.  It's fully 20 pounds more, but I say go for the Gotoh.  It's disheartening at times paying so much when you weren't planning for it, but I can tell you this:

When you get a piece of decent gear in hand, you know it, and you're ALWAYS happy with that decision.  Rarely do you get something higher quality and go, "crap, wish I had just got the cheapie" but very often people get the cheapie and say, "man, it even FEELS cheap.  Sure wish I had been more patient."

Greg

Suppose your right there GregP... ive never really used a Gotoh before...used one once in a studio sesson to which i got annoyed... not paticually sure why and threw it across the room... BUT hey im always willing to give it a go... ill go look around on ebay this afternoon i think...

Is there much more body work required to do a Gotoh as opposed to a Floyd?

~~ Slain Angel ~~

LOL But hey GregP.. who are Vai and satch? cant be that good if there using floyds hey?  :D

~~ Slain Angel ~~

I know you are joking about this right! Then you probably don't know who Van HAlen is too right? :D JK

On the floyd on that page, I would wait to get more money and get a better one, even an used one original would be a better choice. The problem with most of the licensed is that the edge of the "knifes" are not hardened and wear very quickly, especialy if you are going to abuse it a lot.

Jera Woden, must of the people that hate tremolos is because they don't have the patience to set them right the first time, once you have it set correctly and lock the strings, there is no problem with them at all. And as far as how much use it will get, it all depends of what type of music you play, (and unless you are so darn skilled like Jake E Lee that can make a guitar sound like it got a tremolo with a hardtail)

And as far as how much use it will get, it all depends of what type of music you play, (and unless you are so darn skilled like Jake E Lee that can make a guitar sound like it got a tremolo with a hardtail

Well ill reasure you know Maiden... im defintily not that skilled lol :D

I play a variety of music (maiden, pantera, slayer, Black Sabbath etc) but the main reason i want a Floyd is ive written a lot of my own stuff and think it would sound cool if i abused a floyd :D

~~ Slain Angel ~~

Have you checked out Here they might have something you are looking for in your price range.

I don't mind Floyd Rose' bridges, infact i have one on my Kramer (7 string) and that thing can take a beating and a half and stay in tune, then again, so does the TOM on my V. The only bridge i don't like are the Vintage Fender styled trems...*shudders*

Have you checked out Here they might have something you are looking for in your price range.

I don't mind Floyd Rose' bridges, infact i have one on my Kramer (7 string) and that thing can take a beating and a half and stay in tune, then again, so does the TOM on my V. The only bridge i don't like are the Vintage Fender styled trems...*shudders*

Hmm yeh ive been there once before... ill take another look around now :D Thanks

~~ Slain Angel ~~

Edited by SlainAngel

so my post was confusing.

like i said i dont like them because i think they are a pain in the ass. i like to change my tunings on the fly so it kinda gets in the way to me. i did take the time to set the one i had up exactly right and it was great caused it stayed in tune for like 3 weeks no problem. but i always ran into the same problem of needing to shim up, un-do the nut, reset the bridge screws, tune. relock the nut undo the shims and retune with the brdige pins. it never seemed worth it to me.

i play a lot of stuff from classic rock to classic metal and blues and jazz, but ive never really had a extream need to use one. i use my standard termolo on my ibanez some times but mostly i like to stick with stop bars and tune o matics.

slain its good that at least some people enjoy using them. if you use it its alot better than having it and not using it.

2-3 gigs a week? where can i get an mp3 or wma of you and your band? hook us all up.

Heya i orignally posted some MP3's up on the bands site but after a big argument with our hosts... we lost it all (ive still got local copys)... if you allow for a few more weeks i will be fully connected to the new hosts and i will upload the MP3's

Currently were resting due to me having exams and the rest of the band being tired lol

Starting July we ** Should ** be going to peterborugh/norwich/lecister for some gigs

~~ Slain Angel ~~

I'm a bit confused, have you tried the Gotoh Floyd or one of the other gotoh trems?

The gotoh floyd is a licensed one, but they're made out of better materials than most of the cheapo no name ones. Only floyd type things i've ever used that are better are schallers or the japanese made ibanez edge series trems, both of which are a darned sight more expensive!

You might be lucky with a cheaper licensed one, but then again you might not.

Your call :D

Or you could go the other route and get a hipshot trem and a good set of locking tuners. Would stay in tune just as well if not better than a cheapo floyd B)

Heya i orignally posted some MP3's up on the bands site but after a big argument with our hosts... we lost it all (ive still got local copys)... if you allow for a few more weeks i will be fully connected to the new hosts and i will upload the MP3's

Currently were resting due to me having exams and the rest of the band being tired lol

Starting July we ** Should ** be going to peterborugh/norwich/lecister for some gigs

~~ Slain Angel ~~

peterborough ontario??

if so, i am there!!

Curtis

You should play some gigs up nearer Newcastle then i will come watch you r0><0rz! \m/
<-- ill see what i can do!

peterborough ontario??

if so, i am there!!

Curtis

Erm not quite Curtis lol... Peterborough UK...

heh when we get around to hit were hitting the studio again (which happens to be in my room lol) and we wil make a second demo cd... when its done ill let you all know and get some copies out to you!

~~ Slain Angel ~~

Edited by SlainAngel

I'm a bit confused, have you tried the Gotoh Floyd or one of the other gotoh trems?

The gotoh floyd is a licensed one, but they're made out of better materials than most of the cheapo no name ones. Only floyd type things i've ever used that are better are schallers or the japanese made ibanez edge series trems, both of which are a darned sight more expensive!

You might be lucky with a cheaper licensed one, but then again you might not.

Your call :D

Or you could go the other route and get a hipshot trem and a good set of locking tuners. Would stay in tune just as well if not better than a cheapo floyd B)

Right sorry back on subject... I cannot be sure which one i tried... it was a mates guitar he brought along for a session... it didnt feel fluid enough just seemed like i was working twice as hard...

I dont understand the hipshot trem... im stil a newbie to this so could you explain further? cheers

Cheers sambo

~~ Slain Angel ~~