Considering A Floyd Rose

Hipshot is a parts manufacturer. Their tremolo has bearings as its pivot edge, so unlike knife edges, they don't wear out. They are also bloody good at staying in tune, espiecially with a tremsetter (made by the same company, a little thing that fits in place of one of your tremolo springs that makes the tremolo return to its original position whatever you do to it :D).

Only catch is, they're kinda expensive :S about $120 US if memory serves. But there we go!

(as you can probably tell, i think locking trems are a plague that should be wiped out B))

:D

Hipshot is a parts manufacturer. Their tremolo has bearings as its pivot edge, so unlike knife edges, they don't wear out. They are also bloody good at staying in tune, espiecially with a tremsetter (made by the same company, a little thing that fits in place of one of your tremolo springs that makes the tremolo return to its original position whatever you do to it :D).

Only catch is, they're kinda expensive :S about $120 US if memory serves. But there we go!

(as you can probably tell, i think locking trems are a plague that should be wiped out B))

Thats not to bad actually! Just done a currency conversion via xe.com and it gave me the nice price of £65.57 based upon your estimate.

Can anybody point me in the general direction of some good retailers of these? they sound fairly good!

Do they require much more body work then say installing a standard floyd rose? is it harder/easier etc... sorry about all the questions but im major curious now

~~ Slain Angel ~~

Thats not to bad actually! Just done a currency conversion via xe.com and it gave me the nice price of £65.57 based upon your estimate.

Can anybody point me in the general direction of some good retailers of these? they sound fairly good!

Do they require much more body work then say installing a standard floyd rose? is it harder/easier etc... sorry about all the questions but im major curious now

~~ Slain Angel ~~

*Bounce*

Like asked before do they require much more work to the body then a floyd rose?

Also how easy are they to set up etc?

~~ Slain Angel ~~

• 1 month later...

Sorry to drag up an old thread but just found it and am still curious because i have another project on the go that could do with a nice bridge :D

Can someone point me in the direction of some good (uk) Hipshot trem suppliers?

Also how much more work do they require routing wise to the body?

~~ Slain Angel ~~

i have had nothing but trouble with a lot of floyd rose copies, mainly the low TRS II by ibanez, which couldnt hold a tune after a few mins playing. rubbish. but i replaced it with a schaller floyd rose from stew mac its fantastic. the bridge a bit over $200 if i remember 4 years ago. so i wouldnt advise cheaping out on this. might seem good now, but when your tuining your guitar 4 times for every hour of play you wont see it as a saving. trust me

Cheers for the advice fguihen...

Gonna wait for a little while before i decide.. im in talks with someone contemplating buying a new neck pickup etc.. depending on the outcome of that then i will see if i still want to spend money on a floyd bridge or just stick with the one i have...

~~ Slain Angel ~~

i have had nothing but trouble with a lot of floyd rose copies, mainly the low TRS II by ibanez, which couldnt hold a tune after a few mins playing. rubbish. but i replaced it with a schaller floyd rose from stew mac its fantastic. the bridge a bit over $200 if i remember 4 years ago. so i wouldnt advise cheaping out on this. might seem good now, but when your tuining your guitar 4 times for every hour of play you wont see it as a saving. trust me

If memory serves me well, the Lo-TRS is not by Ibanez but by another manufacturer. Ibanez just uses it for some unknown reason on their lower end guitars. AFAIK obviously.