Building A Hard Rock Maple Neck?

First of all,

Hello to all hello to all of you guitar players. This is my first post, but i intend to make alot more :D I joined these forums cause i'm about to make a guitar this summer. Since it's my first i decided to already get all the information needed to build my guitar. Basicly on anything i wanted my guitar to be i could find info @ projectguitar.com except for the neck.

I'm planning on making a hardrock maple neck like this one:

hardrock maple neck

just an example.

How do you create these necks? On all tutorials i've seen, different types of fretboards are used like Rosewood etc. but i've never seen anybody building such a maple neck in a tutorial.

So if anybody could explain to me how to build these necks, i would be very thankfull.

(oh and btw, i will post screens of my progress when i've started building my guitar.)

With regards,

Neon

you haven't really put this in the right section, but anyway,

two way

make it like a normal neck, and use a maple fretboard instead of rosewood or whatever.

or the way they do it a fender(well at least originally did, not to sure bout these days though):

use stock that is thick enough to include fretboard thickness, rout a channel down back of stock till just in front of the 1st fret, flip it over and drill a blind hole from below nut down to the channel, now you have a truss rod cavity. insert truss rod, fill with matching or contrasting filler strip(skunk stripe).

carve back profile and headstock, flip over, radius top of neck (*read* fretboard)

then just do the frets and other regular neck stuff.

note bien: work is not necesarily performed in that order.

you will find better info on the stewmac trade secrets page(how to make the jig for the truss rod cavity etc. www.stewmac.com/tradesecrets/

next time put stuff like this in solidbody chat, you didn't make a tutorial. I just made a half assed one though :D

oh yeah, did you try search?

I must apoligise, my advice was slighty incorrect, if you want it to use a compression rod like in an original fender, use the info at the bottom of URL=http://www.stewmac.com/tradesecrets/tooltips/ts29lee/ts29lee.html]this page

Alternatively, rout a straight channel and place a hardwood strip in the centre of channel around the 7th or 8th fret(this makes a makeshift convex channel, pushing the rod out in the centre. then when you tighten it, the rod tries to straighten out, pushing up in the middle, correcting the bow.)

really sorry for not saying that earlier, I dont use the convex rout method, so forgot to mention it.(I dont even rout) I just use a block under the rod.

The way that is much simpler is the regular top rout channel with a maple fretboard.

sorry bout that

alex