Routing

hey,

im working on a guitar and i really have no idea how routing the pickup cavities works. how do you get the router to go in the right spot, when i see people using wooden templates and stuff. i used a router on the edges of my body to give it a curved smooth edge as opposed to a sharp one, but i dont understand the concept of routing when it comes to working in the middle of the piece of wood. please explain this for me

The bit you used on the outer edge of the guitar was a roundover bit. It has the roller bearing at the end of the shaft. The ones used for routing cavities (top bearing flush trim bit) have the bearing above the bit on the shaft. The template is situated over the area to be routed and clamped down. A hole is drilled into the area to be routed out that will accomodate the diameter of the bit. Insert the bit making sure depth is adjusted right and start routing out the cavity. The roller bearing on the shaft follows the template while the cutting bit below does its job. If you are making a deep cavity you go with multiple passes. After the first pass you could then remove the template and follow the outline of the area that you just routed.

Edited by Southpa

ahaaa thank you

another question -

whats the best method to ensure that the pickup cavities and bridge are in perfect alignment with the neck? and how do you know exactly where to route the neck joint, and how do you make it tight without routing it too big?

Edited by shapiro

ahaaa thank you

another question -

whats the best method to ensure that the pickup cavities and bridge are in perfect alignment with the neck?  and how do you know exactly where to route the neck joint, and how do you make it tight without routing it too big?

Dude, sounds like you need to do some reading. Use the search function and buy some good books. These are some very basic questions you're asking.