I got the book! (at last)

My book was just delivered, i ordered it on on friday night, so not to shabby delivery times by Amazon.

Anyway, its the book by Melvyn Hiscock called "Make your own electric guitar".

if you are new to the whole idea of building guitars, buy it now!!

go on, go to www.amazon.co.uk/.com and order it!

You wont be disapointed!

Matt :DB):D

i was going to order that along with the other book by some dave guy cause the were onsale as a couple, but i hesitated and i was cheap :D let us know what you think, and what kinds of things it covers vs the tutorials on this site and in what kind of detail, depth, and comprehendability.

Yeah, please tell us what it covers, and how detailed it is.

I currently can't see anything I need to know to get my first guitar finnished, except maybe for the painting stuff, so I'm wondering if there's anything useful in that book.

its a good book, it guides you through building three guitars, and is clear and easy to read, even for us simpletons out there :D

It doesnt contain plans but does contain charts containing fret distances for each kind of scale length, and it contains a short, but comprehensive history of electic guitars.

it gives in depth detail on construction and wiring and general electronics. it does tel about finishing, but not in great depth, but there is enough to be a help.

Everything is clearly explained and at the back it has a ton (or indeed tonne) of addresses and the like of parts suppliers etc.

A good book for the price, and i tell you, you wont be able to put it down, i know i havent been able to!

Also, it is information that is always on hand, and you can have it sitting on your workbench as you work, which you cant really do with a webpage (well, unless you print it out, but then you would need a printer, and i dont feel there are any pages on the web that cover guitar construction in this much detail)

i recommend you take the dive and buy one, even if it is a second hand one, i swear you wont regret it!

Matt

B):D:D

I currently can't see anything I need to know to get my first guitar finnished, except maybe for the painting stuff, so I'm wondering if there's anything useful in that book.

If you've not got a copy of Mr.Hiscocks book, you probably won't see the stuff you need to know until after you need it.... if you get my drift. The aim of the book is to keep you away from the common mistakes, thus freeing you to spend your time making stranger, more elaborate errors. In many ways guitar building is much less complicated than it appears, but there are certain areas which need to be explained lucidly and in depth if you are ever to create a high quality instument - Woe betide anyone who rushes in without knowing how to calculate their neck angle...

Seriously, I would recommend the book to anyone who has an active interest in guitars, and it's basically compulsary for anyone considering building.