Guitar Of The Month For June

Time once again to vote!  

144 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

to enter, your guitar should be totally scratch built. That includes the neck. Crap, how can you grade a guitar that is totally scratch built against one that has a purchased or salvaged neck? Maybe there should be a Scratch Built Class and a Project Class for the guitars that have parts that were not built by the contestant.

I love that Idea man It would Level thing's Out ALOT more!!

MOD'S GOOD IDEA RIGHT THERE B)

Was the last guy Scott Ian from Anthrax?

Yes I think it was man. Maiden man You missed some GREAT pic's

rubbing it in I know I know :D

!!METAL MATT!! :D

• Replies 129
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

We tried the pro's versus the amatuers once before, and it didnt work.

Who classes when someone is a pro?? This month, we would have had two pro entries, and two amatuer entries. Pretty easy to score a win right?? Look at lithfield as an example (only because his pathetic antics i recently found on another forum have got me all wound up...)). He was advertising himself as a pro, yet he built some of the most unplayable pieces of rubbish anyone here has even dared to post pictures of.

Then there is me. Ive made less guitars than some of the amatuers here. So what if i charge for them, i still have less "experience". Hows that going to work?

The pro's already get "discounted" by half the members (rightly or wrongly). To try and counteract that (yeah i wanna fricken win) i add proffessionally recorded sound samples, customer testimonials, and reviews published internationally in magazines. whereas some other entries (and i wont point out who, if this month or others) have presented guitars that a clearly unacceptable in certain areas like finishing, layout, and basic woodworking (neck joints, staining, carving, routing, etc).

This is a competition on design, layout, and execution, of a guitar of the month. I dont know that there can even be a difference between scratch built and built from parts. Look at Jeremy from LGM for example. He has finished off guitars that have very well executed inlays and airbrushed graphics, over existing bodies and necks. He still had to strip the paint back to bare wood. He still had to refret the neck, bla bla. Its "GUITAR of the month", not "WHO spent the most time turning a block of wood into a guitar that we dont even know if it works or not" competition.

:D

Drak, your turn. :D

You people are late to the game and need to calm down.

We've already been thru all that BS about different classes and settled on it the way it is, so if you don't like it, don't enter and don't vote. This is -real simple- stuff here, stop trying to complicate something this easy.

Jeebs, all you have to do is look at a bunch of pictures and cast a silly vote for chrissakes.

All this bullsh*t about pro builders not allowed and built from scratch is all crap, and if you look back thru the months you'll see why.

Both Jeremy and Perry have had their asses kicked by amateurs in the past, so there goes that argument down in flames, and this is PROJECT GUITAR, where PEOPLE BUILD PROJECT GUITARS, not PROFESSIONAL FROM SCRATCH GUITAR.COM.

Stop trying to change the place and start trying to be a member and conform to what it already is and just freakin' enjoy it and stop complaining about something that is just fine the way it sits now.

Love, Mr. Jesus Juice. B):D:D

rhoads56, I get your point. And I don't know how exactly you would classify someone as a pro or not but if you're at NAMM or posting pics here of "a guitar I made for one of my clients", you surely are no amateur.

So in that respect, why would a pro want to compete in a GOTM at PG? Wouldn't there be loftier goals for those guys? I know if I was a pro, I'd surely aim higher.

On the other hand, as a hobbyist, I certainly look forward to putting my guitars up against pro guitars and and any guitar made by someone better than me, just to see where I stack up. It's the only real guage I have by which I can measure my progress.

You make a great point though, regarding guys who call themselves pros when they really aren't. Don't we see enough of them. The other side of that coin are the supremely talented amateurs that do awesome work on this forum.

Now for the record, is Ragas a pro builder? The only reason I ask is that if he/she is, wouldn't there have been better pictures of the product? In a contest like this, having great pics can help you win by emphasising (spelling?) the strengths of the execution, desing, finish, etc.

By my own timetable, my guitar will be finished by the of July. I know, I know, that'll put me at about 10 months! But I've got a day job and a family so I don't get to work on it every weekend. In any case, I may be ready for GOTM for August.

God help me.

Dave

I love this soap operas, so dramatic over something so simple.

Cud, there are people like you and me that probably have the ability (and patience) of wood working, were the 1st few guitars already look like somebody that have been doing it for a while. Then there are those (like Perry mentioned Litch) that THINK they are the best at their game and don't even listen when somebody are trying to help them. That say, I think that the way it is run now is the way it should be. Last month Jeremy (LGM) scored less points that 3 noobies. This month Perry is loosing (by a land slide) against a noob.

But the problem I got with this, and is like Perry posted is the fact of "handicaping" a pro for being one??? This month Perrys guitar was awsome, but to my eyes, Toddlers guitar was better executed than it. There is no reason for taking points out for being a pro, if you think that your guitar is not good enough to post here to compete, don't post it. I know it is dissappointing when you spend all the hours building a guitar and you loose, especialy when you are reading that people are taking away points for X or Y reason... thats total BS.

I think that this GOTM is OK the way it is, and the only change change I would do is to keep the votes hidden and no-comments until the end of the month once the winner is announced (to prevent the last minute change of mind because of whatever some one posted)

A great guitar is always a great guitar, that's the point, no matter if you are a pro or an amateur, the best guitar will always get more votes.

Luis

there you go in one sentence.

A great guitar is always a great guitar, that's the point, no matter if you are a pro or an amateur, the best guitar will always get more votes.

Luis

I agree. like rhoads56 said the pro's get "discounted" already. I know I'm always less likely to vote for a "pro" and frankly all this junk about complaining when ppl put down your guitar or your losing, well I just vote for the guitar I like the best. if the best constructed guitar in the world was up for GOTM but the one next to it just had a "vibe" that appealed to me the vibey one would get my vote. all in all I like things the way they are. wow that was kind of a rant. sorry

I agree. like rhoads56 said the pro's get "discounted" already. I know I'm always less likely to vote for a "pro" ................................. well I just vote for the guitar I like the best.

so which one is it dude???

I remember in the last GOTM comp i won, the first six or seven posters stated they were voting for me. Then the next ten or so posts stated they loved my guitar, but would vote for the other guys because it looks like im going to win anyway. ***?

Vote for your favorite guitar, regardless of who made it. Regardless of scratch built, or assembled from parts. Who cares, its a vote for the BEST GUITAR. Adding points because an amatuer is up against a pro, simply gives the amatuer a false sence of security that he is "better than the others" which is EXACTLY what happened with litch....

Toddler deserves this win. Ive already messaged him my congrats. As soon as i saw his entry i knew i was doomed :D But, my client reckons he has the best guitar on earth, which is more important to me... not public opinion. I stopped entering guitars in this comp, until a few people queried why i wasnt getting involved. Maybe an entry of mine can inspire someone to strive that little bit further and make something even they didnt think they could do....

Maiden, that's cool. All I did was make a suggestion. I'm cool with it the way it is. It was Drak who went off the deep end. He lumped me in with other folks who may be complaining. I'm not complaining. I haven't been a member that long and didn't know other folks have made the same suggestion. Leave it the way it is.

Hiding the votes till the end is probably a good idea. But remember you can't look at the votes without either voting or forfeiting your vote. The problem is that you can read the comments before you vote and get an idea who is winning.

HAHAHA :D I love this place, Ya know Im more than willing to go with the flow and all that, I just liked the Idea :D

!!METAL MATT!! B)

I don't think pros should be allowed.  Or at least, there should be a separate Pro Class for them.  Secondly, to enter, your guitar should be totally scratch built.  That includes the neck. 

Hell, no, I like seeing the pro stuff ...it's inspiring, and awesome to see the quality these guys turn out. It's also great that they come here and spend the time giving advice to everyone else.

I stick to my 'handicap the pro' formula. That just means I'm a little more demanding, that's all--not that they can't win my vote!

As for the 'scratch-built' test...no, this is a contest for project guitars, and I think any project has the right to compete --even a refinish, even an interesting mod. Obviously, people are going to look more favorably on guitars built from scratch, but that's something else.

And as for the reasons for why people vote the way they do...well, that's one of the great mysteries of democracy, ain't it? Look at the clowns we vote into the White House...

I will always vote for the guitar I like best, however if a complete amatuer makes a guitar that I think is still pretty awesome, even when pitted against some more experienced people, then they might get some extra brownie points from me.

So for me its not a matter of handicapping the professionals, its more about giving extra props to true amateurs when they deserve it.

- Dan

I always vote for the guitar I like best, too.

Categorization? Phaw.

I don't think anybody, "pro" or "amateur" should sweat it either way. When my guitar's done, I'm entering it whether it has orange peel, a binding that's come loose from the body, an off-centre pickup, or WHATEVER, because that'll just be my way of saying, "well, it's done! Here it is!"

:D

Greg

"It's only an exhibition, not a competition." - Dave Letterman

The pros like for their hard work to be appreciated just as much as amateurs. I look at this thing as a place for everybody to voice their opinions on what's been finished this month and for the builder to take constructive criticism in order to build better guitars. I thought that's why this forum was here in the first place. The GOTM just makes it a little more interesting.

You know, if you don't want to hear what people think, you shouldn't ask. And you for damned sure shouldn't get all pissy about it.

Anyway, the real winners in GOTM are the ones who get to play those guitars every day.

1. I'm not as upset as my post makes me sound. :D

2. I disagree that the best guitar will win each month, I haven't seen that happen.

I've seen a lot of technically superior guitars lose.

3. What I AM saying is that this is a loose, completely 'for fun' venture, and the rules are soo loose, that there's no way to take it 'that' seriously, everyone has their own ideas and their own agendas for voting, it's really almost a free-for-all. And it seems to work best just like that. The more classes, the more qualifications, the more strict, the less fun it seems to be.

4. I have never handicapped a 'pro' one bit. If I liked the guitar, I voted for it, straight-up. My 'agenda' for voting is very very simple, I just pick my favorite guitar and vote for it, couldn't be easier.

5. I will openly admit that I almost always vote for my personal favorite guitar, which is not always the 'best built' guitar, that's one of the fun things about having loose rules, you can pretty much vote as you please. Your voting agenda may not make a bit of sense to me, and mine may not make sense to you, but it's pretty enjoyable and fun this way. That's my point really, that the way it is now may not be the most correct way to do it, but it leaves a lot of FUN in the mix, and it seems every 6 months when the new wave of members have been here a little bit, they want to start changing things around when they don't realize that it works just fine just the way it is.

If it ain't broke... :D

I do agree about keeping the votes and comments hidden until the voting is over, I agree with what Perry said about comments altering later votes and changing the outcome, which I think is very unfair.

Hiding the votes till the end is probably a good idea.  But remember you can't look at the votes without either voting or forfeiting your vote.  The problem is that you can read the comments before you vote and get an idea who is winning.

First off, you know Drak, so it ain't nothing new that he is a bit harsh on replys (he probably didn't get feed on time and was a bit grumpy).

That said, on this quote is what I'm talking about, and Perry and Drak has pointed it out to, the problem that people are casting votes depending on the comments posted by already voters.

Most of this guitars are posted in the Inprogress section, so WE have already posted and praised them overthere. You don't need to post more praises here!!!

I say that we get the MODS involved on this one and have them set a new rule for the GOTM, were there are no replys allowed until the winner is announced. I don't know if the invision will allow to have the votes remain hidden, but atleast if there are no replys, the person voting will be doing so with just the pictures and the builders comments on the guitar. As far as I know this will be a better answer.

I don't think pros should be allowed.  Or at least, there should be a separate Pro Class for them.  Secondly, to enter, your guitar should be totally scratch built.  That includes the neck. 

Hmmm... Now, really... Isn't that also a bit contradictory? I mean, for me someone who can build a guitar completely from scratch and make it a halfway decent guitar is already sort of a pro for me... Certainly no complete amateur... And what about the pickups? Shouldn't they be handwired? No? And the electronics? What about pre-wired pickguards? And the preinlaid fretboards? Preslotted ones? And the nuts? Should I make those also by myself? And if I use an Earvana? Or bodies with routings, but no shapings? And if I get some help from a friend for the finishing?

Well you see what I am at... By the way, I think "pros" are already de facto handicapped. Look at Jeremy last month, for example. Awesome guitar, as always, but almost no votes, because he is a "pro". I also think that people weigh factors like premade necks and stuff when voting. Just look at the replies in the last months.

There is not always need for over-regulations. Most things are already of the self-regulating kind.

For the record, I don't want to change anything. I just made a suggestion. I'm not a complete moron after all, I've seen how the voting has gone in the past and I've seen the comments. So, I know some folks get handicapped and I've seen the best guitar, IMO, lose. It seemed, in this thread, that the issue had been raised before I ever posted in it. So I thought I could add my opinion without it being a big deal.

I will always vote for the guitar I like best, however if a complete amatuer makes a guitar that I think is still pretty awesome, even when pitted against some more experienced people, then they might get some extra brownie points from me.

So for me its not a matter of handicapping the professionals, its more about giving extra props to true amateurs when they deserve it.

- Dan

that is exactly what I was trying to say and it's also you allways expect more from the pro's. so a decent guitar by an amateur can be more inpressive then a status quo awesome guitar by a pro. in the end it doesn't really matter how peopl vote because it's their vote. and the buisiness of no comments until after it's over, I know I never read them before I vote but I can understand why people would want their to be no comments until after, I like reading the comments after I vote, It's nice to see why other people voted

Edited by selmac

While the GOTM sounds like a great way to compare guitars it lacks a lot in key areas. First off, how many guitars have you looked at in a music store and thought, "wow, look at that guitar, it's beautiful" only to pick it up and find out that it's unplayable due to poor fretting and setup, and you put it down as fast as you can. It might be beautiful, but if it doesn't have good action or buzzes all over, then I don't want it. Secondly, most people don't even give you a sound sample of how the guitar sounds, so you don't even know if it has a good tone or not. Lastly, who knows if the guitar weights 500 pounds or not, bad designs = guitars that only the Incredible Hulk would be able to handle on a 3 hour gig. Most people building project guitars pretend that weight isn't an issue, but believe me, if your going to sell guitars, they need to be cafefully thought out, even weight issues. But seriously people, don't get all worked up over this, it's just as I would consider an Art contest really, it's just judged on visuals, since that's all you can judge from a picture. I can guarantee that if each person got to play the guitars that was entered, the votes would be different most of the time. That's why most of the people on the site just focus on finishing, since that's all that matters in this contest. You don't see much interest in fretting, setup, electronics, etc.... the other important parts of building a truly great instrument. I know that there is no way for us to all play these guitars, so basically we just have to take the contest for what it is, visual..

Matt V