Classical Guitar Fretboard Radius

Hi all,

Well I have recently purchased a really nice classical guitar, but as we all know classical guitars are commonly found with flat fretboards...

So, I plan on re-radiusing the fret board to a 12 degree radius then fat fretting it...

I have noticed (Im not sure whether this is common in accoustics or not) that the fretboard does arch up slightly about on the 12th fret (where it leaves the body)...

I was just hoping that anyone who has had previous experience in re-radiusing a fret board could give me any advice or 'lessons' they learned along the way...

Thanks alot,

Shimmy

Hi all,

Well I have recently purchased a really nice classical guitar, but as we all know classical guitars are commonly found with flat fretboards...

So, I plan on re-radiusing the fret board to a 12 degree radius then fat fretting it...

I have noticed (Im not sure whether this is common in accoustics or not) that the fretboard does arch up slightly about on the 12th fret (where it leaves the body)...

I was just hoping that anyone who has had previous experience in re-radiusing a fret board could give me any advice or 'lessons' they learned along the way...

Thanks alot,

Shimmy

well i know Sadowsky uses a 12" fretboard Radius on his electric nylon string instrument ( as do a couple of others i believe ) so i don't see why it wouldn't work

Good timing on this topic......I just received an Alvarez RC20SC and it has a radiused board. I'd guess it's 12" but that is only a guess.

The "hump" on the board as it leaves the body is unfortunately too common an acoustics. I see it all the time. Most of the time it is not a big deal as long as it doesn't interfere with keeping the action height you want and it doesn't cause buzzing. I just sent back my Michael Kelly bass because it was buzzing at the hump and was getting worse by the day. My bass was 6 months old. Off topic: MK's customer service was Excellent. They had a new bass to me the day after I shipped mine back!! I can handle that kind of warranty service.

I forgot to add that if you are re-radiusing the board you will get rid of that hump (or most of it depending on how bad it is) as you sand it down to the radius.

Edited by bluespresence

• 3 weeks later...

If you're planning on radiusing the board you may want to scrape the hump out first.

This will make the sanding a little quicker rather than trying to sand an even radius into a humped board.

After removing the frets use a cabinet scraper to level the board and then radius.

Just make sure that the board isn't pulling away from the body first.

Edited by JohnJohn