Finish Sanding Carved Top?

I use an orbital.. but you can still use a block on a lot of it.

Also, you can get a bag of contour sanding widgets from woodworking stores.. Mine came with 3 concave and 3 convex wedges.. you wrap paper around them and get started.. great for sanding hard to reach recorve areas.. and the concave ones are nice for cleaning up roundovers or softening hard edges.

:D Best sketch ever..

Back on topic.. Anything you have that fits the shape.. i've used odd sized pieces of PVC as blocks before.. Some folks use bondo and custom form their own sanding blocks.. For a gentle curve though, foam or ruber sanding blocks are the best.. will keep it even without making "facets" on the surface..

:D  Best sketch ever..

Back on topic.. Anything you have that fits the shape.. i've used odd sized pieces of PVC as blocks before.. Some folks use bondo and custom form their own sanding blocks.. For a gentle curve though, foam or ruber sanding blocks are the best.. will keep it even without making "facets" on the surface..

Maybe a gold diaper would do the trick :D

Thanks for the tip - I figured hand sanding without some kind of backing is a recipe for disaster.