New Goldtop Custom Guitar Finally Finished

Thanks so much for all the feedback and support. The level of collaboration on this project was really high and the result is something beyond what we imagined it might be. That may sound sort of strnge since it was entirely planned out but the way it came together dictated a few of the details that really integrated the design. Rob and I are very pleased with the guitar. I am glad that it is being so well received. And wow, we got the Drak 5 out of 5. Now that is is an honor ineed!

Thanks again for the honest critique. I always appreciate that here.

~David

I think I want to be an apprentience at David's shop...

The whole thing from top to bottom, is just unreal. Even the pics at the end are just stunning, make a great guitar is one thing, then take the highest quality pics is another...

Edited by bigdguitars

Even the pics at the end are just stunning, make a great guitar is one thing, then take the highest quality pics is another...

All credit for these photographs goes to Rob Taylor. He does an excellent job and will be hired to photograph more in the future. I take alright picutres but he makes the guitars look absolutely gorgeous and 3D. Or perhaps I should just say he makes it look like it really does. That is a rare talent.

Scott, liquid is a great comment. Couldn't ask for a better compliment really :D

You know, the guitar is drop dead gorgeous; you executed building it so perfectly.

BUT IMO for some reason, I hate the body shape! It reminds me of a duck running around my feet and I just want to kick it..sorry (Not trying to be rude) hahaha.

I was looking at your site and all your guitars are fantastic looking. I was just wondering how many years have you been building for?

egdeltar, this wasn't a Rorschach test you know :D

I have been building on and off since 8th grade so that makes it over 20 years. There were some years that I didn't build much and some that I built a lot. The last 7 years was pretty heavy building as I got into acoustic guitars and started refining my electric designs. It takes time and practice before you can see something in your mind and then build it. Start working on that if you plan to design your own stuff.

I didn't get the chance to record with this guitar at all. I really wanted to since the range of tones were very nice. The piezos have a rich, sweet tone and the P90s are always thick and punchy and full of harmonics. This guitar used the Fralin P90s and I like them a lot. Very clean and chimy. Perhaps Rob will be doing some recording with it in the (hopefully) near future. If so I let you all know.

Edited by Myka Guitars

As usual, Myka, I am blown away. The tailpiece was a good call, as was the choice of P-90's. They both add a touch of that classic jazzbox vibe to an otherwise totally groovy shape.

I'd just like to compliment you both on this neck joint, and on the neck joints of every other guitar of yours I've seen. I've always thought that smooth-carved setneck joints looked kind of awkward, but yours are so perfectly designed and executed that it seems to elevate the design far above any neckthrough I've seen. Mad props. :D

Keep it up! :D

WOW.  I have never been a fan of LP style guitars, but I can honestly say this is one of the nicest looking guitars I have ever seen.  I think i can rate it in my top 5.

why does it being a single cut make it a LP ?

I mean... there are lots of these... what about a tele?

Anyway, Great job!

WOW.  I have never been a fan of LP style guitars, but I can honestly say this is one of the nicest looking guitars I have ever seen.  I think i can rate it in my top 5.

Anyway, Great job!

Anyway, Great job!

where the heck do you get your wood?

You've got to show up at the lumber yard and get to know who works there. It also helps to show them what you will do with it. Most wood merchants love their wood to go to cool little projects like guitars. I have a couple places that stash stuff away for me. That piece of rosewood was in a dusty corner of the wood pile when I found it just digging around. It looked pretty nasty but I sensed some cool grain. When I cut it open I was pleasantly surprised.

Thanks again for all the comments on this guitar. I appreciate it all.

~David

http://www.mykaguitars.com/gallery.htm

Your instruments have alot of class. The designs are very elegant, and quality is very consistant & professionally executed. You are one of the few, true professionals on this board, and are humble about it, which I like.

The design of this particular instrument is too 'out there' for me, however, you did an excellent job, as usual.