P90 Screw Setup?

Mickguard

I just installed a P90 in my Melody Maker...sounds great, looks cool (like a thinbody Jr). But I'm wondering about setting it up --whether to monkey with the screws, and how does one decide this?

I'm wondering because of this photo (of a 1961 Epiphone Crestwood) --see how high those screws are raised? Should I do this to mine?

DSC09452.jpg

if you like the sound the guitar is putting out leave it alone. if you don't feel like you're getting enough volume or the tone seems a bit flat or muddy then move them up a bit. but be careful..if you get them up too high you'll get some harmonics that you won't like..some ghost tones if you will.

that being said don't be afraid to experiment a bit. just keep track of how many turns you turn each pole so that you can return it to it's original position if needed.

okay, easy enough to return them to go, since they were flush with the cover to begin with...but now I'm understanding what so great about this design...I've had a problem with this guitar getting the high E to sound out properly --it was always too quiet...but now I can get it just where I like it....

The good part about those is not only can you raise them but you can set the string balance. Like you can make it more middy by raising the middle two poles. Generally you raise the two middle poles and lower the b string too compensate for the radius of the fingerboard and the fact that the b string is louder than the rest.

back to what i said before..if you like the sound you're getting out of your mighty mite leave it alone..but if you want to experiment then go for it..the worst that happens is you have an extra pup..sell it, use it in your next project or whatever. that's a big part of the fun of guitars..looking for your illusive perfect sound.

Try a magnet swap on that mighy mite. Try some alnico II, IV, and V magnets instead.

I read something where Dan Erlewine has specific screw settings for PAF's and p90's, you start flush from the top and go up or down a certain number of turns and also, you never have the line on the screw line up with the strings. Not sure, but he swears by it.

Godin, there's a slight gaps in your logic. :D

Raising the two middle poles won't make your tone more middy. What they'll do is make those two strings get picked up more, ie. make them louder. A mid-range EQ boost is a much different beast, which can and will affect ALL your strings and notes in varied and subtle ways. A note's fundamental may not be in the mids, but it may have harmonic contents in that frequency zone, which an EQ will also alter.

Plus, due to the nature of the guitar (the strings being divided mainly into intervals of 4ths), there is a LOT of note overlap. The same note can be played on different strings, as you know. The same note on the B string, for example, won't have the same middy boost as the one on the G with its raised polepiece.

I suppose if you want this unpredictable variety, that's a reason to do it. But not for mid boost. Most people will adjust the polepieces for, as mentioned, improving string balance, not for detracting from it.

Greg