Sharpening Tools

I use these:

http://www.leevalley.com/wood/page.aspx?c=...004&cat=1,43072

The 5micron & 0.5micron. I put the sheets on a piece of glass so they are dead smooth, and can go right from a fresh grind to a *mirror* finish in minutes. I haven't had as much luck with gouges as I have with chisels, as chisels are easier being flat, but these work great.

oil stones are good, but you need a good one, not ones that come with sets of chisels(unless the set cost a zillion greenbacks)

but it will probably be easier for you to sharpen with some silicon carbide paper, make yourself a honing guide if you have trouble keeping the bevel flat, most people do.

The Scary Sharp method uses sandpaper to sharpen blades.  Somewhere, I've got an old Fine Woodworking, where 3 woodworkers sharpened blades with 3 different methods.  I think they did oilstones, waterstones, and sandpaper.  I think everyone came away impressed with the speed and economy of sandpaper.

That's what I do, though I only use two grits, 2500 & 9000. No water either. I have the sheets sitting on a piece of glass on the corner of my workbench whenever I use my handtools so I can quickly sharpen them when necessary, which takes a few minutes only. If you do go with the honing papers, get like five sheets of each, they go quick.

I know a lot of purists look down their nose at them but I like the Veritas sharpening jig. It speeds up the process and, at least if my case, allows me to put a really accurate flat surface on the face of my smaller chisels. The wide ones are easy, but I use a 1/8" and a 1/4" a lot and I've always had trouble getting them right freehand.

I also use diamond lapping plates. They have gotten cheap, although not as cheap as sandpaper. I sharpen with them dry and then wash off the residue with water after I'm done.