Your Choice on Guitar Amps

Scott D.

If someone was to give you a half-stack(FREE) of one of the brands listed below, what one would you take? All same wattage.  

200 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

Not to pull a "none of the above", but realistically, I've heard some awesome things said about the Carvin tube amps.

yes, the carvin legacy amp looks pretty sweet, i wish that were on there, probably one of the most well rounded amps i know off...

but i went with peavy, cause i love they're Transtube Supreme, the best solid state head out there right now IMHO, and it's pretty damn powerfull too!! I also like the peave 5150II cause that's what alot of metal guys use, really good thick metal sound from that amp.

messa's are great for rythm, but good luck trying to play any kind of lead on them without 2 racks of effects to make it sound "good".... but again, just IMO

• Replies 81
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 2 weeks later...

TRACE ELLIOT!!!!!!!! AHHHHHHHH!!! I love em, they are just the best guitar and bass amps I could wan't! :D (The bass amps dont have the ampeg type overdrive but the odd pedal sorts that out...)

I'll vote Marshall.

I had a Marshall Stack. 50 Watt, split channel.

After the band split up I kept it in my living room.

My wife didn't like it. Still don't know why??

Bought it in 1985. Sold it in 2002

The price in 1985 was Fl. 4800,- (2200 Euro)

Sold it for Fl. 4400,- (2000 Euro)

Tought it was a nice deal.

Bought a Roland GP 100

I'm very happy with it but I still miss my Marshall :D

• 1 year later...

[quote name='Godin SD' date='Feb 22 2005, 02:49 PM']out of that list mesa has got my vote.  But my dream amp is definitly a bogner.  Man tears come into my eyes every time I hear one of those :D  see what I mean  :D  :D  B)
[right][snapback]172850[/snapback][/right]
[/quote]

look at the new THD heads at musicians friend.you can replace the tubes with anything you want,and they are supposed to be very good.at $1200 and up.they are still cheaper by far than the bogner.and they are supposed to have that "boutique amp" sound

• 3 weeks later...

I've just started a new band and the other guitarist has a great sounding Laney. It's the best amp i've heard yet.

Since then I found a laney 100Watt head goin cheap on ebay and snapped it up. Still waiting for it to arrive though. I didn't buy it because it was laney, I bought it for the value for money.

• 1 month later...

I have a Mesa Dual Recto head and I'm quite happy with it. Here's my 2 cents

Marshall - Industry Standard. Mode IV or JCM series, yes for studio purposes. Otherwise too nasal for me.
Mesa/Boogie - Heads only. Combos lose bass frequencies.
Crate - I have a V series. Worth what I paid (NAMM show dealer cost). Very noisy amps otherwise.
Randall - I'd get their high end or modular models just to see how they model the amps
Hughes & Kettner - the one with the glass front is cool but I witnessed a drummer drop his guitarist's head and shatter the entire thing. Note to self. Carry your own gear! The one Korn sponsored for a while is ok.
Rocktron - good at effects, bad at amp tone.
Dinosaur - who?
Peavey - 5150 is cool, but one sounded, noisy, and the controls suck. Can we say "independent eq for both channels please"? Satch's amp is cool, but again one sounded.
VOX - I give 'em props, but never tried 'em.
LINE 6 - I have a POD 2.0 and I would never buy a head based on the sounds. I prefer the real deal. I've also heard these amps in their Recto modes lost on stage in the frequencies of cymbals and bass amps. Factor in post-tube processing and/or tube power and it might sound great!

My brother in law has the Framus Cobra and while it's cool and extremely quiet, I'll stick to my Mesa. But I'll take a Diezel head over the Mesa anyday...

What about VHT or Bogner?

Edited by DividedByJames

I played on something recently that's the best sounding amp I've ever heard - a Trainwreck Climax. DAMN. I couldn't believe that thing. Amazing. Literally the best amp I've ever heard.

EDIT: Although I must admit, the tweed bassman head through a leslie rotating speaker I played through at the same time sounded almost as good - that was pretty crazy too.

Edited by jnewman

if someone gave me 3 grand to spend on a mesa rectifier, i'd only use it for its distortion.

my fender deville imo is better sounding then the boogie.

and too bad fender doesnt make tube amps for metal. gah, nothings perfect. lol

Look....even a bass player can vote!!

I would have picked Ampeg if it was about bass amps (is ther another brand?!) but I went with Vox. I played 4 gigs last week and the guitar player had a new Vox 60 watt whatever the model number thingy is and it sounded awesome. He has a Marshall too but for the blues and old rock we were playing the Vox sounded perfect. A real nice crying tone on the blues that went perfect with the Ric and Sheraton he was playing.

• 3 weeks later...

CARVINS CARVINS CARVINS

i love my MTS3200, lots of range and a very warm clean tone. The reverb is lovely too, have been playing it for years and it has now become an essential part of my sound.

Being that this is a guitar building website. I think eveyrone here understands what it means to play your own orginal music on a unique instrument that you built. Its part of being a great guitarist. Tone is everything. I think an amp should say somehting about the person playing it. Wether they are modest or over the top. Excessively loud or deceptively quite. That sort of thing.

mmmm, big your amp is, but small is your tone. Master tone the, and bigger then amp you will be.