Converting A 6 -string To A 7-stirng

Does any one have any tips or know how on how to convert a 6-string guitar into a 7-string guitar?

what kinda guitar is it? I remember reading the history of 7 strings, and it said that the first were done by jazz players that added a high A, a small string like tha can be added without affecting the spacing too much. But if you want to add a low b, thats quite thick, you will either have insanely tight string spacing, or you will need to redo the neck, you will need a new bridge and everything also to match the spacing

its probably not worth the hassle, just make one from scratch.

Yep By the time You got every thing all MODED up You may as well just have built a new body! :D

So like Mr Alex said just make one from scratch.

!!METAL MATT!! :D

As long as you don't mind buying new pickups, bridge, nut, tuning machines and such it is a walk in the park. If your pickups are rails, scratch that from your list.

except that seven string necks are wider throughout the entire length ,you mean?

ever play a true seven?

Does any one have any tips or know how on how to convert a 6-string guitar into a 7-string guitar?

If you think your neck is wide enough (which it is not), you would need a new nut, one more tuner on the headstock (where put it?? UGLY!), a seven string bridge (routing), different pickups... Wait. Those seven strings pickups are for seven string with usual spacing, not reduced spacing... Go for rails if anything at all.

So, even if it were possible (I don't know enough to say whether it is really possible or impossible, just to say it is a bad idea), it would be a difficult task without much knowledge of others you could count on, and wouldn't be worth the effort - it would look ugly and would hardly be a good playable guitar (if it is playable at all, that is).

If you really really really want to keep anything of that six-string, probably you could just keep the body, do some routing on it (different neck pocket, different pickup routings, different bridge routing... MAH!!!!

Just scrap that idea, will you?

thanks for the input. After much consideration i have decided to build a new one. i do currently own a 7 string i love it so his one will be a 7 string as well. It based off the flying v design with some neat cut outs. I have designed it i just need to get the wood and start it. Ill put up some drawings when i get them scanned. Thanks all.

-RAF