Mahogany Or Mapple Neck?

I don't know what's gone on here (darn internet!!)

here's what I posted:

well the title says most the story really.

which do you think will be best?

the design so far is:

12-string, neck through, SG styled (in outline) with body binding, probably P90's maybe a humbucker or mini-humbucker at the neck.

probbaly black :D:D I can't help myself ok??

I'm thinking about mahogany for the 'wings' on the body and an Ebony fretboard.

I just can't deside on what wood to make the neck from, I like bassy sounds but will all that mahogany with no other woods be too bassy?

also I have a piece of wood (was a shelf) that is DEFINATLY hard wood its very hard very heavy and is quite pale yellow and the grain is a very dark red-ish. any help identifying that? as its the perfect size for making a neck's (about 1-3/4" think and very long)

any help will be appreciated B)

If you are going for Mahogany. Do you know what type you are going to use (Genuine(Swietenia macrophylla)or African)? If you are open to African ( AKA Khaya(Khaya ivorensis) and Sapele(Entandrophragma cylindricum) ) you might check out the Sapele. From my experience it seems to be a bit brighter than Genuine. Khaya doesn't seem to carry the high quite as well as Genuine, but is very nice sounding also. I personally like them all of them.

Peace, Rich

I belive the supplyer I'm thinking about getting it from was calling it 'brazilian' I don't think its the 'genuine' Swietenia macrophylla speceies as the supplyer has that listed elswhere

I don't think it is oak. just doesn't seem to be dark enough. here's a picture of what I've got:

jun021408vg.jpg

other picture

:D sorry about my rubbish webcam :D and ignore the mess in the background B) its out of foucus for a reason

EDIT: I'm wondering if this could be red oak? as I have read that is often used in furniture. is red oak a good tone wood?

Edited by Robert_the_damned