What Plane?

Gemleggat

You mean truing up fingerboard gluing surfaces? I'd personally get a very high quality plane, and a particularly long one, like a foreplane or jointerplane. I've been thinking about getting this, possibly this weekend:

http://www.leevalley.com/wood/page.aspx?c=...298&cat=1,41182

I have standard block plane by Veritas, and it rules. :D

Lie-Nielsen also make very high quality planes, but the Veritas are cheaper because Lee Valley makes and sells them direct.

Low quality planes have bad soles and poor blades, be aware.

EDIT: Whatever plane you buy, make sure you have a good, accurate straight edge, too.

Edited by M_A_T_T

Matt those are very nice and I'd love to have a few of them to match all my needs, but the price of those is seriously expensive! I know they would be of the best quality but thats just a little hard to swallow for me. Somewhere on this site, one of the members posted stating that he had a block plane he purchased at Home Depot for I think $10. Obviously this will be nowhere near the quality of the others. But I think for a few of us this cheaper alternative would be more considerate to our wallets. Maybe there is an in between price range. Also you might not get the accuracy of the nice ones but you could always do a little more sanding. But I appreciate the link and information, and maybe one day when I have the funds I will be able to buy a planer of that class. Thanks for the help! Jason

There are other ways, you just have to do some digging and be vigilant. A lot of my handtools were picked up in used condition. If you know what the good brands are and have an eye for quality and, of course, condition, you could find tools at garage sales, swap meets, pawn shops etc. I picked up an "Este" No. 5 block plane a while back for 15 bucks! All it had was a broken handle and a dull blade. Still in good enough shape for my uses, a little glue and a sharpening stone and I was in business. :D

Thanks southpa, I have found many used things that were perfectly usable throught my life. I just recently thought about this route for the tools I need for building guitars. I am buying a brand new router though, a nice one I found for $39.99 that is perfect it has only 1 hp though, I also found another one for $49.99 and is 1 3/4 hp and it looks a little better. I will probably get the more expensive one because it on sale from $60.00 I think, it doesn't seem to have as many features though but oh well. I have a link in another thread in this tool section to the place I'm buying the router from, it might worth a look for anyone that needs a router!!

But for hand tools you don't need to worry about electronics wearing out or belts breaking. I actually totally forgot about swap meets and pawn shops until you mentioned them. These would be a great idea in my area, being that I live near two areas that have a crap load of trailer trash crystal freaks and ghetto druggies, so I know that the swap meets and pawn shops would be loaded with cheap quality stuff. Thanks for the reminder.

BTW I don't live in these areas! I have already checked ebay and the stuff wasn't that great, more along the lines of collectibles. Thanks again! Jason

The 'collectibles' are perfectly usable in most cases. I got a #6 and two #5s at a big flea market under $40 for all of them. If you can see past all the dirt and spiderwebs, you can get good deals on good tools. One of the #5s was a bit of a lemon, but on the other two I didn't even need to level the sole.

Thank you for your input as I was not sure if these planes would be in good enough condition, I have no problem with buying these older ones I just wasn't sure if they would hold true. But I will definately take your word for it, being that you are an experienced luthier I find no information more valuable for a somewhat beginner builder. Thanks and I will consider some of the planers I discounted before. Jason

If you get a Lie-Nielsen prepare to plane end grain and curly maple to a glass-like smoothness right out of the box.

Myka's not kidding when he says this. My veritas standard block plane was SWEET right out of the box. All I had to do was set the blade for my cut.

One thing I'd like to point out with these high $$$ planes is, aside form being PERFECT right out of the box, they have better features (blades, adjustments, etc.)than the lower cost brands. I'd advise anyone looking into doing alot of handplane work to seriously look at the features of these planes and compare them with the other brands.

EDIT:

"'This thread is not meant to encourage anyone to stop using a jointer or planer. These tools are incredible time savers and well worth aquiring. I just want to support those who cannot afford a jointer or planer.'

If you look at $500+ for a mediocre jointer compared to $240 for an excellent hand plane that will do a lot more you will see where I am coming from."

-Myka

You got that right. I had a hell of a time with my lame Delta bench top jointer jointing the back plates on my violin. This is why I finally decided to seriously look for a good foreplane or jointer plane.

Edited by M_A_T_T

I believe low-angle block planes are better for end grain, and standard are more general perpose. You need to think of what you are going to be using it for, and whether you should maybe get a selection of planes, ie - block plane, scraping plane, jack plane, jointer plane, etc.

I probably want to Spend £50 uk ($100)ish its most important job will be to sqaure up body and neck blanks, so i'm looking for something a quite hefty. What size?

Graham,

I have a Lie Neilson no. 7 jointer, their angle block plane and their large scraper plane - all great but expensive. I was looking to add a no.5 ad a no.6 when my wife dragged me to a car boot sale. There were a couple of elderly gentlemen (in their '80s) who were selling all sorts of hand tools including a good selection of hand planes. I bought a couple of fifty(ish) year old Stanley Baileys ( a five and a six) for under £30 ($55). The soles were true and the blades razor sharp. There are bargains to be had if you look around.

Neil

I'd personally get a very high quality plane, and a particularly long one, like a foreplane or jointerplane.  I've been thinking about getting this, possibly this weekend:

http://www.leevalley.com/wood/page.aspx?c=...298&cat=1,41182

My block plane has a big brother now. :D

planes.jpg

Picked it up today. It is very nice. A very heavy, substantial feeling tool. I tried it right out of the box on some 3x3 Mahogany and it works VERY well. Long, fine shavings. I haven't tinkered with all the adjustments yet, though it is nicely setup out of the box. I think I'm hooked on these Veritas planes. Next one will definately be a Veritas, I'm thinking maybe a #4-1/2 smoother.

I think xlr8 is right on the money (no pun intended) about the bailey style. I have a 5 and 6 as well and haven't had any problems with them. Both of these were garage sale items and needed a bit of tuning but it beat spending the money for the Nielsons. I also agree that Veritas' line is a fantastic bargain for the quality you recieve. The one brand that seams to sell quite a bit that I would try to stay away from is the Anant. I bought an Anant #7 and had to spend several days lapping the sole and leveling the frog just to get a consistent cut.

just my 2 cents though.

Nate Robinson